RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Beginners (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/)
-   -   New product for multiple airplane owners (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/9661049-new-product-multiple-airplane-owners.html)

tripower222 04-14-2010 05:22 PM

New product for multiple airplane owners

1 Attachment(s)
<div style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt">Use one receiver for multiple airplanes with this gadget. I probably have $500.00 worth of Futaba R617FS receivers alone and I am sure some of you have much more. If you could easily move you receiver from plane to plane to save $80 per plane would you?</div><div style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"> </div><div style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt">There is a company I have used to make something similar to this if I have a bunch made at once its much cheaper. I am thinking about having a lot of them made, even for different radio systems. I am looking for replies on weather people think they would purchase and or use something like this before I go out and make a whole bunch of them. I think they will cost 9-15 dollars not sure yet.</div><div style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"> </div><div style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt">As shown in illustration, the circuit board shock mounts to the plane with all the servo leads hooked to it. Just plug the receiver in face down on the connector and slip the antennas it to the tubes. Don’t forget to change models on your transmitter.</div><div style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"> </div><div style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt">If I make one for the Spectrum I will have to figure out a way around the model match feature.</div>

flyinrog 04-14-2010 05:27 PM

RE: New product for multiple airplane owners

Not a bad idea.....Rog

MetallicaJunkie 04-14-2010 05:53 PM

yeah that is pretty neat...i like that the receiver plugs in...there are similar items like this that cost hundred of dollars and have too many bells and whistles....i wouldnt mind something like this for planes i dont fly on a regular basis

AH1G 04-14-2010 07:52 PM

! Good Idea! Have you actually tried and tested this interface and configuration?
Yes, I might be interested.

dash008 04-14-2010 07:55 PM

That is awesome! I would buy some of those. radio manufacturers would never sell something like that because they want to sell you a receiver for every model. I think you have yourself a good product there.

Gray Beard 04-14-2010 08:53 PM

Just today I started looking for a new futaba 9ch PCM. I only have one and it's in use but I sure could use another one right now!! That would cure my problem.

OkadaKeisuke 04-14-2010 08:58 PM

Quite brilliant!

MinnFlyer 04-14-2010 09:21 PM

Oooh, I like!

ro347 04-14-2010 09:45 PM

I like!!!! Great idea!

SushiSeeker 04-14-2010 09:45 PM

I have to admit I was skeptical when I started reading your post, but when I saw your illustration, I really liked it. I would recommend adding a velcro strap around the antenna end of the adapter to keep mechanical loads off the connectors.

The key will be finding a good price point where you can make a profit, yet sell cheaply enough to encourage people to own several.

bbrown2828 04-14-2010 10:01 PM

i would be interested in a few of them

jimmyjames213 04-14-2010 10:01 PM

what i do is plug everything into rx, then jam notecards/paper into the gaps between the plugs and glue/ziptie the plugs/paper together. that way i can just plug or unplug one thing.
thats not a bad idea at all though, just dont skimp out on the plugs/wire so we can use highcurrent servo's. dont use those thin silver/solder strips, they melt under high current way to easily

dignlivn 04-14-2010 10:11 PM

Looks similar to Smart Fly, imo

Bob

AH1G 04-14-2010 10:12 PM

I just looked a one of my R617FS receivers and found that the antenna wires come out of the "bottom" end of the receiver; opposite end of the servo connections. The location of the tubes would need to be changed or just left off of the tray.
STILL a good idea!

Minnreefer 04-14-2010 10:41 PM

Very nice, I have Hitec 2.4 would like several.

Jon

frets24 04-14-2010 11:15 PM

To echo a quote often heard in our house full of teenagers....."Waaaaay Cool!!!"

I like it. Especially as referenced above, for seldom flown a/c.

"If I make one for the Spectrum I will have to figure out a way around the model match feature"

Why increase cost and muddy-up the simplicity?Even for Spektrum 2.4, how long does it take to bind a receiver? 30 seconds? Easy enough for me to be very intrested in a few. If someone is too slack to want to have to rebind after swapping a/c, they're not going to be intrested in swapping the receiver out in the first pace would be my guess.

EGRUNE 04-15-2010 07:34 AM

Nice!
Interested if you can figure out the "Spektrum" issue.

crossman 04-15-2010 08:19 AM

Nice Idea,

Just a thought, If you add one more plug on the servo end, you could use all 7 channels without Y-cord.

drube 04-15-2010 09:02 AM

Sounds great I'd like to have a few. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/thumbup.gif

brickhead179 04-15-2010 10:36 AM

Wait...why don't you just set up the recievers in your plane to be easily removed without the need for a board like that? I have multiple planes that all fly on the same reciever because i take it out and move it. Thats all..

Gray Beard 04-15-2010 11:01 AM

ORIGINAL: brickhead179

Wait...why don't you just set up the recievers in your plane to be easily removed without the need for a board like that? I have multiple planes that all fly on the same reciever because i take it out and move it. Thats all..
Because there are a lot of lazy people like myself that don't want to be removing and installing all those wires. Just plug in and plug out weed hopper. One little tug does it all.

smithcreek 04-15-2010 11:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I've used this type of multi-pin connector to shuffle receivers around. You need one with more pins, but this is the general idea. Use one end on your receiver platform and the other end you connect to all your servos. The side that connects to the servos stays in the plane, so you need one for each plane you have. Then you just need to plug that one connector to the connector on your servo platform and you're ready to go. If you could make a production run that was a reasonable cost I'd like some. A pain to make, lots of little soldering.

smithcreek 04-15-2010 11:14 AM

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: brickhead179

Because there are a lot of lazy people like myself that don't want to be removing and installing all those wires. Just plug in and plug out weed hopper. One little tug does it all.
never mind, I see the design idea now, the platform stay in the plane, good idea, but would need to be made different for all different receivers. If you used short extensions to connect to a multi-pin in a platform, you could make it universal. In that case the receiver and platform would need to be moved around to different planes.

smithcreek 04-15-2010 11:20 AM

When will I ever learn to stop quoting myself instead of editing?

landeck 04-15-2010 12:25 PM

Great idea! I currently have 10 R617FS receivers, all currently in planes. I could have saved a bundle with something like that.:D

Bruce