RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Beginners (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/)
-   -   weather in the 90's this weekend (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/9812058-weather-90s-weekend.html)

billd76 06-18-2010 04:26 PM

weather in the 90's this weekend

with high humidity. What precautions does everyone take with the heat and humidity when flying (if any)?

goirish 06-18-2010 04:28 PM

RE: weather in the 90's this weekend

Lots and lots of beverage. Batteries might not last as long, Check often

RCKen 06-18-2010 04:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Only in the 90's?? Wow, wish it was going to be that cool!!!! :D

That's a normal flying day for us here in SWOklahoma. We usually get out early and finish flying around noon or so before it gets too hot to fly any more. Gene had good advice, lots and lots of liquids to stay hydrated. Iwouldn't worry about battery life too much as I've never seen any adverse effects on my batts from the heat. Depending on the radio type you have you may want to try and keep your plane in the shade as some Futaba 2.4 radios have problems with heat.

Otherwise, fly and have fun!!!!

Ken

drube 06-18-2010 05:08 PM

A lot of guys at my club fly early to 11-11:30, but I like to fly in the evening from 6 to sundown. Have the field to myself most times. Just remember drink lots of water and wear light colored clothes. It also helps to have UV coated sun glasses and a hat.http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/biggrin.gif

Gray Beard 06-18-2010 07:00 PM

ORIGINAL: drube

A lot of guys at my club fly early to 11-11:30, but I like to fly in the evening from 6 to sundown. Have the field to myself most times. Just remember drink lots of water and wear light colored clothes. It also helps to have UV coated sun glasses and a hat.[img][/img]
I don't have the humidity but we look at the 90s as a perfect fly day. Last week it was 88 at 6 when I got to the field and it was 106 about 11 when I left. Shade, shorts, sandals, sun screen and a lot of fluids. If you use Ultracote you don't need to put your planes in the shade!!:D :):) Sorry, just having fun with Ken!!

DavidAgar 06-18-2010 07:04 PM

What the hell is 90 degrees. We struggle to get to 65.... Dave

ChuckW 06-18-2010 07:10 PM

Wouldn't you know it, I'm going to be in PA and NJ for the next two weeks and the weather is going to be hot. I thought I could escape the local heat for a while but I guess not.

In the summer when it is scorching around here, I try to get to the field as early as I can and fly for a few hours before it really starts to get hot. I also avoid sodas, energy drinks and stuff like that. I stick to lots of water or plain iced tea for hydration.

The planes don't seem to care. Glow engines sometimes need to be leaned a few clicks as it warms due to air density changes up but not so much that you encourage any overheating problems. Covering can wrinkle some but not a big deal.<br type="_moz" />

ChuckW 06-18-2010 07:17 PM

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard
If you use Ultracote you don't need to put your planes in the shade!!:D :):) Sorry, just having fun with Ken!!
Summers in Las Vegas seem to hover around the shrinking temperature for Ultracoat so that keeps it good and tight.http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/biggrin.gif

Last time I was there is was 118 in the afternoon and 103 at midnight. Thank God for air conditioning.
<br type="_moz" />

RCKen 06-18-2010 07:30 PM

ORIGINAL: DavidAgar

David,
Iwas stationed at Ft. Lewis for a couple of years. I know what you mean. Washington summers........ the best 20 minutes of your life!!!!! ;)

Ken

Gray Beard 06-18-2010 07:40 PM

ORIGINAL: RCKen

ORIGINAL: DavidAgar

David,
I was stationed at Ft. Lewis for a couple of years. I know what you mean. Washington summers........ the best 20 minutes of your life!!!!! ;)

Ken
I grew up in Parkland and used to sneak in and play at the fort. I really found some cool stuff!! Used to ride my bike over to the air base and lay in the grass on the north end of the runway and watch the F-86 squadrons fly over me low to the ground. Today I would be arrested but it was a fun place for a boy to grow up.
Chuck, when high summer hits here you don't even need to warm up your car, it's already at operating temperature.

RCKen 06-18-2010 07:56 PM

We have 4 seasons here in Oklahoma

Hot, Hotter, Still Hot, and Christmas!!!!! :D

Ken

bingo field 06-18-2010 08:58 PM

Yeah, billd76

Just think, 3 or 4 more weeks and we will be getting frost again at night....;)

When I lived in El Centro, Ca. the last thing you wanted to do when it was summer was grab a wrench while you were working on your motorcycle that had been sitting in the sun for more than 2 minutes... You would have the brand on your hand..

scooterinvegas 06-19-2010 03:46 AM

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard
Last week it was 88 at 6 when I got to the field and it was 106 about 11 when I left. Shade, shorts, sandals, sun screen and a lot of fluids.
Ya, in a few more weeks, it will be 100 at 5 am, and 115 plus by noon at the dry lake. Im going to try and make every weekend before then. Shade, liquid, shade, liquid, shade liquid.....in that order!http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...bananahead.gif

scooterinvegas 06-19-2010 04:01 AM

ORIGINAL: ChuckW
Summers in Las Vegas seem to hover around the shrinking temperature for Ultracoat so that keeps it good and tight.http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/biggrin.gif
My Monocoat planes wrinkle up like a prune at the dry lake. Get them back home, they tighten right back up!

Gray Beard 06-19-2010 12:00 PM

ORIGINAL: scooterinvegas

ORIGINAL: ChuckW
Summers in Las Vegas seem to hover around the shrinking temperature for Ultracoat so that keeps it good and tight.[img][/img]
My Monocoat planes wrinkle up like a prune at the dry lake. Get them back home, they tighten right back up!

I was joking with Ken but the truth is my planes covering doesn't sag and wrinkle. This time of year I do the main covering then set it out in the sun for a while, bring it back into the shop and let it cool down then shrink it again. I do that a couple of times and when it no longer does any of that nasty stuff I put on the trim. The hatch of my van is my shade, my planes can go find shade for themselves!!!;)[8D] I use Ultra as the main covering but often use Mono for the trim using the ammonia process. The TEX type of covering works the same way, even better. I fly all year long, when it starts getting real hot I will be at the LB at sunrise and pull out about 11. If it's a nice evening I will go out there later in the day and fly until sun down. Guess I could go to Bennett field but I like the LB a lot better, the people anyway.;)

JohnB96041 06-19-2010 01:30 PM

RCKen: This is John from Apache. About 18 miles north of you. Had both my Funtana 125's and a Spacewalker II 120 ARF at my field this morning. Got 3 flights on each before I headed to the house. Early in the morning or about an hour to hour and half before sundown is my flying schedule. Have an 80' x 300' grass runway about 3 miles from my house. All Lawton Area Fun Flyers with AMA card are welcome to come join me. Just give me a call. I am in the phone book.

RCKen 06-19-2010 01:40 PM

John,
we just may take you up on that some day. We had a good morning of flying too. I got 3 each on my Slow Poke and Escapade. Then packed up and got home about noon before it good too hot.

Ken

tailskid 06-19-2010 02:55 PM

I live in Phoenix AZ....nothing more need to be said :)

rogue-RCU 06-19-2010 03:00 PM

It's in the 90's here in my part of old Virginia. But I'm not saying a word. After all the snow that we had last winter, I don't care if it gets 110 in the shade.:D

tailskid 06-19-2010 03:10 PM

Well Robert, come here and your wish will be granted :)

tony0707 06-19-2010 03:49 PM

hi here in central florida- been in mid 90's all week-( feels like 105-111 degress ) the high humidity days are the more difficult ones -get to field 830-9 fly till 11-12 drink GATOR AID and banannas are very good in the heatpowder in underwear and a second T shirt for coming off the field-will get you dry againit works TX -rx batteries and glo fuel not effected by the heatgot a great tanand a lot of fresh air planes have been flying super -glo engines do run stronger when a bit cooler though its all good so enjoy yourselfsi cannot complain about the weatherit is why i moved here so i could fly all year roundand the summer is our worst weather all yearbut still good no body is melting but the witch in the wizard of OZ ____ENJOY REGARDS TONY

Jim Thomerson 06-19-2010 05:16 PM

Two things: cover up, wear long pants and long sleeve shirt, with hat and sun glasses. Keep hydrated, water to sport drinks in about a two to one ratio. So long as you are covered and hydrated, you will be OK.