RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Beginners (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/)
-   -   My coming back/Surgery recovery story (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/9907183-my-coming-back-surgery-recovery-story.html)

chevypower1930 08-02-2010 11:48 PM

My coming back/Surgery recovery story

First off hey everyone

I'm 20 years old and have been flying since I was about 16... flew a ridiculous amount for the first 3 years.. it's all I thought/did/bought. I then got diagnosed with ulcerative colitis and had 2 REAL bad flare ups, I was in bed rest for 2 months each time, second time hospitalized... I'm 6 foot and was down to 119 pounds both times. Just a VERY sick kid for those 2 months.

Once I got better and got on this new real powerful medicine and it kept me pretty healthy for a few months I got a good job at Rhino Linings and saved a lot of money in just a couple months and decided to really live and went back to my childhood dream of racing motocross.. so I really pursued that and bought a 2002 CR 125... practiced and practiced and stepped up to a 2006 CRF 450 to race. and this all happened from January of this year!

So I didn't really touch my glow planes much :/ still played with my foamies and bought a couple new park flyers so my thumbs are still pretty fresh! I actually bought a DX7 system because I knew I wasn't going to leave this hobby and thought it's about time to step up to 2.4 technology..

but anyways now the bad news. I got hit by another flare 3 weeks ago. Admitted into the hospital after just 1 week... was there for 5 days when they scheduled emergency surgery (Ileostomy) which is where they completely remove your colon and pull the end of your intestine through your abdomen and that's where waste will pass through in an ostomy bag that I have to now wear... the surgery is actually more difficult then open heart surgery! anyways had a tough recovery in the hospital for 8 days..

and TODAY IS MY FIRST DAY HOME! Still recovering and still very very weak.. but it feels great to be home those four walls in my hospital room were driving me insane. And this surgery means... no more motocross until my next surgery when they pull my intestine back down and reconnect, and even after that I have a long time until I want to get back on the bike.

So for me.. this is my time for me to REALLY get back into this amazing hobby I've always loved :)

Right now in my hangar is:
Hangar 9 P51 Miss America
Great Planes Escapade (still have to finish, have everything.. going to finish when I can move without pain)
brushless slow stick
3D Foamy
parkzone vapor
ultra micro 4 site.

I really really want to get a nice 40-60 size scale 3D plane (maybe an Extra 300, Extra 260, Sukhoi, etc...) I also want to find a big gentle 4 stroke flyer such as a sig kadet senior or a telemaster, I also need to get some Spektrum receivers to convert my planes to 2.4..
(IF ANYONE HAS ANY OF THIS STUFF FOR SALE LET ME KNOW PLEASE!)

Anyways thought I'd share my experience and struggle through this horrible disease with my fellow modelers and thank god the surgery actually CURES the disease so it's out of my life! I still have a tough road ahead getting used to the ostomy bag and just living with this.... but i'm finally getting my life back and I'm more then ready to get back to the flying field and start building my hangar back up! If anybody else has been through anything like this feel free to post your experience.. it's amazing what a person can get through in life!

chevypower1930 08-02-2010 11:50 PM

RE: My coming back/Surgery recovery story

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a few pictures of me on the bike! Excited to move back to flying airplanes though! I miss the flying field!

seahwk95 08-03-2010 08:50 AM

Well, all I can say is best of luck on recovery, and you have got a damn good attitude. For that, you have not only my well wishes, but my respect also!!! I've always been amazed by MX guys and how high/far they jump....cool picture.

outdoorhunting 08-03-2010 08:50 AM

Glad to hear you're doing well. Sounds like a lot was put on your plate for your age !! With an attitude like your's, you'll do good in anything you try!! You are a true inspiration. Good Luck !!

chevypower1930 08-03-2010 08:58 AM

Wow guys that means more than yall can imagine just hearing that! It's been a REAL tough road for me and yeah especially at my age.... I listen to all my friends or people i went to school with moan and complain about there girlfriend/boyfriends, and these petty fights with people, and it just makes me sick that these people have it SO easy, and they couldn't even begin to imagine going through what I've been through...

What also pisses me off is these kids that do nothing and talk about nothing but drinking and smoking and just being complete idiots... I have never smoked a day in my life and do not drink.... I have better things to do and would much rather be doing things I love such as being at the motocross track and especially flying and working on my planes :) when other people my age are spending money on weed and alcohol I'm shopping for airplanes! and had actually started flight lessons to get my private pilots license before I got sick.. which I am going to continue to pursue when I get better...

Anyways thought I'd vent a bit there after hearing the great things yall said and just wish other people could get there priorities in life lined up!

Edwin 08-03-2010 09:57 AM

My mother went through the same thing you did. After she was reconnected and healed up, she was back to normal again. I'm sure you'll recover faster than a 70 year old did. Good luck to ya.
Edwin

chevypower1930 08-03-2010 10:43 AM

Really Edwin, My father also went through it (thanks for passin it on dad!) when he was about 40.. he's now 50 but never got the take down surgery so he still has the bag... when he was about ready for the takedown my mothers mom got real sick and passed away.. then my brother actually was diagnosed with cancer and that was a battle for a couple years (He's cancer free for i believe 8 years now!) so his surgery was put on the backburner...

but I'm scared of going back under the knife when I'm going to be feeling so good! just with the exception of this bag.. but I love the lake and the beach and the bags not going to be a fun look at the beach or lake! haha and of course the motocross thing so the surgeries going to be a must have for me I believe... I just despise being in a hospital room now! haha but yeah in the long run it will really give my life back completely!

jrbmoto 08-03-2010 06:07 PM

My RCU name jrbmoto came as a result of my passion for MX. My initals plus the word MOTO!! So sorry to hear about your illness but I'm glad to hear your on your way to recovery. I was into motocross heavily for years until severe back problems put a halt to it. I was so bummed the day I sold my 2007 CRF 250 but the money came in handy on my next visit to the hobby shop! That is the cool thing about this hobby, there is so much fun to be had without ever leaving your home garage. I actually spend way more time building airplanes than flying them. May I suggest that you spend some time building while your recovering. I know thats what I'd be doing!! Good luck to you my friend, remember that you have youth on your side and you WILL shread that bike again...See ya at the 2012 X-games beside Travis Pastrana

-Johnny-

chevypower1930 08-03-2010 06:12 PM

JBR that's awesome yeah when I got into my last flare... (couple weeks ago) I was actually out at the track practicing TWO DAYS before I got sick... it's just insane the day I got sick it's all I was thinking about... there goes motocross... there goes my summer, there goes everything for a while but in the long run I will look back and be soooo happy I had all this done as with colitis it's pretty much a waiting game as to WHEN you have the surgery if you have a severe case like I did.

As for building.. as soon as I get enough strength to actually be able to sit up and move around enough I'm actually have a Great Planes Escapade to finish assembling! Was looking forward to getting home and starting it the whole time I was in the hospital haha so I have some building! I would like to get maybe a mini telemaster kit to mess around with to.. I started building a 4 star 40 a couple years back and had a great time.. got it to be about ready to cover and hit a small snag and then the flying season started and I never touched it again.. ended up selling it

Edwin 08-03-2010 06:59 PM

Look at it this way, You WANT to live a normal life. After the final surgery, everyday gets better. And you're young enough to move on and you have plenty of time. Just get in the right frame of mind. I've been there with back surgery, I know a little about what you speak when it comes to hospitals.
Edwin

noveldoc 08-03-2010 10:46 PM

I also fly with a disability. In my case I had an anoxic brain injury as a kid with a lot of resultant muscle wasting. I regained a reasonable amount of strength from very good PT but am now losing it fast again in my early 60s. It is like accelerated aging of the muscles.

So there are things I cannot do at the field. I can't squat. I have some trouble bending over and reduced grip strength. But there is always a person to help without me even asking. RC flyers are wonderful folks and I am sure you will find the same if you need some help at the field while you are recovering.

I do have a Kadet Senior. The other flyers kind of lust after her and I let them have some turns around the field after I go up. They don't ask or expect it; I just enjoy giving the payback.

One of the greatest things about this hobby are the great people we share it with.

Tom

PS: Congrats on your recovery so far. You have the proper stubborn attitude. ;-)

chevypower1930 08-03-2010 10:59 PM

Tom: Good to hear from you buddy sorry about your condition, great that you're still out there and yes us modelers are all kind of a tight knit group... It really is a great bond and friendship and I have ALWAYS encouraged beginners to join a club, they're so much fun, even being one of the young guys the other guys at the field respect me and like seein me out there! I was actually trained by a guy at my field without even asking!

my first time coming out there I was just real interested in flying so I went out there and all the guys at the field introduced themselves and pointed me in the direction of a good trainer and said when you get it come out and we'll help you out! Solo'd my second day! I love this hobby because it truly is a life long hobby and I love the thought of that....

chevypower1930 08-03-2010 11:31 PM

MODERATOR can you move this to the BEGINNERS forum? Idk how to contact yall directly but please can you do that for me?

Thanks

RCKen 08-04-2010 09:06 PM

Moved on request to the RC Airplanes >> Beginners forum

Ken

pdm52956 08-05-2010 06:09 AM

Adam, not only do I wish to convey my hopes for your recovery and respect for your attitude, but I also have this urge to pay respect to your parents or whomever it may have been that raised you.

There are too many "youngins" out here that as you said, do nothing but whine/complain about some poor hand they've been dealt when in reality, they don't have a clue. I believe that in too many of those cases, they have that attitude because no one raised them to appreciate what they do have and to teach them that they can go after, and get, just about anything if they just make the effort.

You are, or should be, an inspiration to an awful lot of people and so should your folks. It may be only perception from reading your post, but in my opinion they raised a son to be proud of! Good luck!

Paul

chevypower1930 08-05-2010 07:05 AM

PDM thank you very much, yes I do believe I was raised by great parents and I've just always had this outlook on life.... even from freshman year in highschool when my friends would want to do nothing but go out to parties because we were now in "HIGH SCHOOL!" haha, it was just never me, I watched a lot of my friends go downhill fast and now pretty much are amounting to nothing in life, so to me, that is not worth it....

I'm just sooo ready to get back out and fly guys!

Jason 3-Danhakl 08-05-2010 08:42 AM

Adam,
Thanks for sharing your personal story. Just reading your post shows us that your not a typical dirt bag flat biller! I hope that everything turns out well with the recovery. Judging by how determined you sound that will be a non issue. At your age I could not get enough of flying and motocross. As time passed the flying become more important to me. Whatever you do keep the 450. I will turn 34 next week and went to the doc for a tune up not to long ago. Family history of congestive heart failure and he said I was headed in that direction with slowly gaining about 10 pounds a year. So then one of my best flying buddies has a massive heart attack and died just last month at 52 years old. :( Moral of the story the 10 pounds a year started when I parked the motocrosser! I thought I was doing it to be safer and follow the typical those are dangerous tudes. Little did I know in reality it was going to slowly kill me.
On the way home from my buddies funeral I decided enough is enough. I bought a mountian bike and started trying to get myself in shape to go do some moto without my tounge hitting the front fender on lap two! I went to the track last weekend and man I forgot how much fun it was. Can't wait to go again. I'm working on trying to save up enough money to get a CRF450. What year is yours? Also how much trouble is it to maintain the top end? I hear horror stories but see them everywhere so its can't be that hard. Up until this point everything I've had are two smokes.
Keep us updated and show the doctors that people can do what they think is not possible! Can't wait to see the look on my Docs face when he asked me how I got in shape! You could kill your self doing that. Yeah I was by letting it sit in my garage.
Jason Danhakl

chevypower1930 08-05-2010 08:48 AM

Jason good to hear from you! Yeah get back on that bike! it will for sure get you in shape, people don't get how much of a workout it is throwing around a 250 pound dirt bike... My bike is a 2006, valves have been a non issue since I've had it and the guy I bought it from had it since new and he said last year he checked the valves and they were right on point, perfect still... The thing with the valves on the CRF's is really on the 250's more as you REALLY do not have to whine out a 450, it has so much power on the bottom end, as with the crf 250's you ride them at a much higher RPM and that tears up the valves, also 2006 is when Honda got the valve problem a little better, 2005's and earlier models were where most of the problems were, good luck to you getting back into it though!

Jason 3-Danhakl 08-05-2010 09:08 AM

Adam,
Thanks for the info. So 2006 or newer and just make sure they are adjusted properly every so often and things should be good. I know exactly what your saying about the low end grunt. I've ridden one a few times and there was never any real need to revv it out. My dad had me on a dirt bike at 3 years old. I've been riding them ever since. This last lay off lasted four years. I think the longest I had ever gone was 6 maybe 8 months. No way I'm going to let that happen again. Just to much fun and just makes you feel great.

Hey I'm not sure if you would like build an airplane kit but I have a bunch of them in my basement. I'll make you a great deal on one if your interested. They will keep you busy for quite some time. I've collected so many there is no way I'd ever get them build. Might as well let someone else take a shot at it!
Thanks,
Jason

chevypower1930 08-05-2010 09:13 AM

Oh man Jason for sure! What kind of kits do you have... I would like a real EASY to build kit to keep me busy.... I tried a 4 star 40 some time ago and I got it ready to cover then the flying season started! haha and it got put on the back burner and I ended up selling it... Then a guy from rcgroups actually DONATED a fun fly kit plane to me because of my illness and I was going through a flare up but this plane was one of the weirdest HARDEST planes to build. it was a funfly I think diamond tea? it had like one landing gear wheel and it was a triangle airfoil and a carbon fiber rod boom from the wing to the tail surfaces.. that was NOT an enjoyable build haha.. I quit on that one..

orangehat44 08-05-2010 10:31 AM

I wish you a speedy recovery. That escapade is an awsome plane, and i think it will be great medicine for ya! Every time i fly mine i have the biggest poop eating grin on my face. Just figured out how to flat spin it the other week. Its such a great fun plane.

chevypower1930 08-05-2010 10:50 AM

Orange hat thanks! Can't wait to get it in the air! I have the engine dry fitted on there now just have to drill the holes in the mounts and mount her on there.. then all that is left is installing the fuel tank and throttle servo.. And waiting on my mother to pick me up some epoxy to glue the wing halves together as I cant' get out of the house to get it myself [:@] I also can't do a lot to it at one time as I get very very tired so quickly even from screwing in the servo screws I broke out in a sweat and had to take a break! It's crazy how much we take for granted when we're in good/healthy shape!

orangehat44 08-05-2010 11:10 AM

I know man, but youve got a great positive attitude. Nothing wrong with taking your time. But to put a positive spin, being phyisically limited buy it you can take more time going through it in your head, and when you build it in little spurts you can ensure youve built it perfect! :D From you rcu name sounds like your a fan of Bow Tie Power, I have a 71 monte carlo myself. Love the chevys.

chevypower1930 08-05-2010 11:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes sir here's my Blazer (and one haulin my bike! can't wait to do that again haha) and my brothers Camaro we race

orangehat44 08-05-2010 12:07 PM

nice very nice. my dad and i got 71 montes 3 years ago, bought mine fresman summer of college. fun being a 21 year old and going to cruisenights in that big o'l tub of steel.