Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Want to replace my brushless...

Old 09-20-2010, 09:31 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to replace my brushless...

Hello everyone,
I have a spitfire that i run with a 1500kv brushless outrunner, a 25 amp esc, and a 3s 1500mah battery. Now i want to replace that with a 4300kv outrunner, a 30 amp esc, and the same battery. Of course the 4300kv will run much faster while spinning the same prop right?
Old 09-21-2010, 07:16 PM

Default RE: Want to replace my brushless...

Oh, goodness! No way, Jose! At 4300Kv on 3s you have no hope of running ANY sort of prop in direct drive.

Maybe your 1500Kv motor is spinning an 8x4 on <25A... even if it could spin it (which it couldn't), if your 4300Kv motor were trying to spin it, it would be drawing at least 100A.

The ONLY way your 4300Kv motor could spin an 8x4 at <30A would be if it were geared about 3:1.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:54 PM

Wouldn't it work with like a 3" prop ??
Old 09-21-2010, 08:19 PM
My Feedback: (1)

see thats what i thought too..but then i relaized that if i use a prop that had a very very low pitch, that i could in fact run the prop on this motor. And that goes with the fact that i wouldnt be starting from zero and throwing it into max throttle. Il try first on a bench tester and see what happens with a eight by 6 before i throw it onto a plane. But from my theory, if i use saw a 7*3 i can have a nice speed demon type plane. Or at least the motor. anyways, whatever works or doesnt work, this motor and esc are nothing to me. Iv tried selling them to no avail. And i have no plane to stuff them in so a little stress testing couldnt hurt me at all
Old 09-23-2010, 08:41 PM

ORIGINAL: toywizard

Wouldn't it work with like a 3'' prop ??

Maybe a 3"-4" prop, certainly a small EDF.....but with ANYTHING bigger it would draw a lot more current than it can handle.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:42 PM

Brickhead... it will be a lost cause... believe me it will fry with a 7"-8" prop.

I've never been silly enough to try a prop that big on such a high Kv motor... but a 3190Kv Dons Wicked outrunner draws 38.60A/404W with a 5" prop!!!!!!! Obviously 4300Kv with a far larger prop will send the current through the roof.