Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Parkzone J3 Cub

Old 09-29-2010, 08:13 PM
GW
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parkzone J3 Cub

I have a Parkzone J3 Cub, its a couple years old. Question is, after a hard landing it has a bent prop shaft. I have a replacement but it seems I have every size allen wrench made except the right one.
can someone tell me the size needed to loosen the two set screws on the front of the motor so I can slide the shaft out?

Thanks in advance

GW
Old 09-29-2010, 08:18 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Parkzone J3 Cub

These set screws are installed with some kind of loc-tite. A VERY CAREFULLY applied heat will be needed to help break them loose. They are a 1/16 allen, but they strip very easily. I had to force a metric allen into one of mine after I stripped it with the 1/16 (before I knew about the loc-tite).
Old 09-29-2010, 10:56 PM
GW

Exactly what I was looking for. Any suggestions on the "carefully applied heat" application?

Thanks much

GW
Old 09-30-2010, 07:53 AM

ORIGINAL: GW

Exactly what I was looking for. Any suggestions on the ''carefully applied heat'' application?

Thanks much

GW
A soldering-iron tip in close proximity to the screws ought to do the trick. Hold the tip under the screws to let the heat rise up to them. You shouldn't need much heat to loosen the Loctite. This method should keep the heat away from the bell and the magnets.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:35 PM
GW

Will do, thanks. Seems I have the same issue as hugger-4641. Got to find a metric wrench to cram in there. Hope I can get replacement screws from the local shop.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:49 AM
GW

I tried the heat but it seems the screw head are stripped. Anyone know any tricks for getting this apart or is this motor junk? (It has a bent prop shaft) I tired larger size allen with no luck.......thanks
Old 10-01-2010, 05:33 PM

You might be able to use a small dremel tool or small left hand drill bit. I have always managed to get the screws out, but that's what I'd try if I couldn't. I have also straightened the shafts on these motors many times with good success. You need a couple pairs of small vice-grips. You have to clamp one carefully on to the back plate of the motor, or re-install a couple of the mounting screws and clamp onto them. Then install the prop spinner and prop to help identify which way the shaft needs to be bent to straighten it out. Get the vice-grips with motor held as steady as possible and turn the prop/spinner and watch the "wobble", then clamp the second pair of vice grips onto the prop spinner and gently bend until the shaft is straight. You will have to use trial and error to figure out which way to bend and how much, but it can be done.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:51 PM
GW

I think I will try the drill bit. However I have not heard of a left hand drill bit. Is this a Home Depot or Lowes item?

Thanks
Old 10-01-2010, 11:12 PM

Possibly, but more likely to find left hand drill bit at Harbor Freight or N H Northern. If not, you can order them on line from McMaster Carr, they usually ship next day.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:58 AM
GW

Thanks, I will hit Harbor freight when I go to town next week. If you have any other ideas I may be able to try this weekend I am open to suggestions...

Thanks much
G DUB
Old 10-02-2010, 09:36 AM

One thing I forgot to point out; you will need to start with a very small bit, probably about 3/32", and use a small pair of vice-grips or a pin-vice so as to turn it by hand instead of trying to use a drill. Try turning it slowly under some pressure to get the drill bit to bite into the inside of the screw and back it out. This is why you need a left hand bit.
If that doesn't work, then you are probably going to have to completely drill out the screw. For which you will need a small drill (1/4") and possibly a collet from a dremel tool to hold the bit. I have a cordless Dewalt that will hold drill bits down to 1/16", but most run of the mill cordless drills have trouble holding anything smaller than a 1/8" bit. A 1/8" bit will probably remove the set screw just fine but will probably damage the threads in the process, which will require you to re-thread them to a larger size screw.
Hope this helps.