Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Motor for glider conversion

Old 09-30-2010, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor for glider conversion

I have a 100 inch glider with standard balsa/shrink covering. Have flown with elastic but want to convert to brushless electric. What size motor would I need on this?
Old 09-30-2010, 08:37 PM

Default RE: Motor for glider conversion

This might be a good piece of reading to help you out: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1108935
Old 10-04-2010, 12:42 AM

After some research it looks like my glider is an Olympic II so if anyone has some information to help me with the electric conversion I would appreciate it.
Thanks
Bob
Old 10-04-2010, 08:19 AM

Here is an article: OLY ll S ... a Very fast building kit!

Looks just like the original OLY ll, but the airfoil is changed to S 3014 for great penetration. The wing's leading edge is D-Tube balsa sheeted, top and bottom, for a more accurate airfoil shape and added strength. The OLY ll S will float very slowly without out dropping a wing tip prematurely, but with a couple clicks of down elevator will fly in 10 - 15 mph winds easily. Construction Plan shows flaps and/or spoilers, builders choice, kit is supplied with the spoilers and plywood horns. The OLY ll S wing will not fit on the regular OLY ll fuse. If your building a sailplane for the first time, the OLY ll wing is a bit easier to understand since it doesn't have the wing sheeting to install. Look at the instructions linked below and decide which kit you would like to start with. Both wings are two piece for easy transporting.

The OLY ll S or OLY ll will be a terrific choice for electric powered installation. Electric powered sailplanes is the most convenient way to learn how to fly RC sailplanes, the most convenient way to launch them and probably the fastest way to successful RC flying. The best way to really sharpen your flying skills is launching from a Hi Start or Winch. Both kits include a laser cut plywood motor mount for Speed 600 or 700 motors. Other motors will require adapting the motor mount. See Hobby Lobby for sourcing.

I guarantee you will be impressed with the performance level of my new OLY ll S design. ... Ray ...

Suggested Electric Motor Installation ......

AXI 2820/10, 13X6.5 folding prop, and a 7 cell 2000 mAh battery or 2 or 3 cell LiPoly battery with a Jeti "Advanced PLUS" 40 amp controller available from Hobby-Lobby.com