Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Idle Current?? Long duration glider flight.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 06:32 PM
vh2q
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle Current?? Long duration glider flight.

I need a brushless to put in a Cularis that I use for long duration FPV flying. The motor that came with the plane is a HiMax outrunner and it seems rather underpowered. So I want to step it up a notch. But since I am using this for long duration flights with the motor "off" most of the time, I am concerned about current draw. Most specs refer to an "Idle Current" circa 1 amp. This is way too much, considering I also have a Video TX, 6 servos etc etc. Do these motors really draw this much current with the throttle off, and if so, how does one get around this? Any recommended motors out there
Old 10-15-2010, 08:29 PM
DaveFlynn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Idle Current?? Long duration glider flight.

I've not seen one that draws a whole amp, but yes some do draw some power when the throttle is off. I believe this to be an error in the firmware in some ESC's, the ESC should allow the prop to spin freely and draw no power when the throttle is off. A folding prop that stops completely should fix it.

Dave