Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

GWS Pico - Range issues???

Old 08-03-2003, 06:39 PM
Hugebass

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GWS Pico - Range issues???

I have a GWS pico for Futaba running in my E-Starter. Brand new receiver and experiencing range issues. My buddy has the same setup and has the same problem...????

Suggestions?

Reed
Old 08-07-2003, 12:40 PM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Reed,

Sometimes interference issues can be confused with range issues. I have many GWS R4-P Pico receivers that can range farther than sight. I wouldn't expect that you could fly the E-Starter too far due to its small size.

Sometimes pointing the antenna sideways to the plane instead of straight at it makes for better signalling due to the radiation pattern.

I have also cut my antenna length in half (18") on several applications to successfully eliminate interference problems.

When all else fails, buy an M5 micro receiver from FMA Direct. It is a "full strength" dual conversion receiver that weighs only 0.3oz.

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	99846_36676.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	56311  
Old 08-07-2003, 03:23 PM
cwat212

I have the same receiver in a Zero and have never had any range problems. It will reach further than I can see.

Make sure the antenae is not right next to the battery, esc or servos as this can cause problems. Run the wire out the side of the fuse and attach to the tail fin.

I would not cut the wire.
Old 08-08-2003, 11:21 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

cwat212,

Cutting the GWS receiver antenna in half is a very common practice. In fact, it's described in the instructions that come with the receiver. IIRC, the instructions tell you to cut the antenna down if you have interference problems.

On top of that, GWS has been making short-antenna versions of their R4P receivers for quite a while.

In other words, don't worry, it's okay to cut the antenna down.
Old 08-08-2003, 01:11 PM
cwat212

Thanks, I did not know that.