Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

How does this set up sound?

Old 08-04-2003, 06:02 AM
YZ-212

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does this set up sound?

GWS E-Starter
castle creations phoenix 25
Razor rz400 brushless
mated to a gws gearbox at 6.6:1
swinging a 12 x 8 prop

moto calc suggests 9 amps 81 watts 25 oz thrust.

Don't have a scale to weigh the plane, but a good guess is around 14 oz.

Now my question is what battery should I go for. I'd prefer to use Lipo and I was looking at the thunder power from espirit models

TP2100-3S 2100 mAh, 3 cell(11.1V), 16 gauge wires
Rating: 6C Max Avg Discharge
Output: 11.1V Nominal, 2100mAh
Applications: Speed 400, Brushless 2/3A Sanyo,Hecell,Kan
Dimensions/wt: 4"x 1.37"x .75" /4.7 oz.
$80

At 80 bucks its a bit pricey and I like to have at least 2 bats for each plane. Espirit suggest these bats are good up to 16 amps continuous. Are there any cheaper alternatives? I could prop down a little also to drop the amp draw. I'd appreciate any feedback.
Old 08-04-2003, 10:59 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does this set up sound?

You should easily be able to fly your estarter for at least 30 minutes with the TP2100 pack if you don't fly around at full throttle all the time. Using conventional NiMH technology, you'll be carrying a lot more weight, and only have about half the capacity if you use batteries that can handle the 9 Amp current demands of the motor. 10 minutes might be expecting too much.

Compare the cost of 3 NiMH packs with one TP2100, and you'll probably see a benefit to the TP2100. You can fly for 10 minutes, charge it up a little in between flights, and stretch your total flying time to 45 minutes, maybe an hour. If you're not sick of flying after a solid hour in the air, you are one dedicated modeler