Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Electric Dilemma !

Old 08-04-2003, 12:32 PM
thrust_me

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Dilemma !

Hi!

I've become addicted to this hobby recently and this is my first post.
I fly electrics.

I’m a beginner with about 2 months flying experience and I live in Dubai, here electrics aren't quite heard of & the 2 decent hobby shops in the city provide for IC planes.
I have 2 PC-9 EPP kits lying at home that my Bro left me before he went off to Canada. I've built one and it flies great ( have to drive 2 hours to the hillside to get to some slopes.)I learnt to fly on a friend's electric trainer and so i dont own an ESC or a motor/prop setup .The radio equipment i have is a Futaba Skysport 4ch system. that ive installed in the Slopie.

Problem #1:

I want to convert one or both of my PC-9s to electric.

So i went looking for a decent speed 500 setup and came across
the Hobby-Lobby sale.
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/jetibrushless.htm

A Jeti "Phasor" 15/4 Brushless Motor and Jeti JES 30-3P Motor Controller each for 78$.totals up to 156$.
thats just about the MAX i can afford.
The planes have a 50 inch wingspan and I was looking for motor setup that can pull a 42-50oz (1200 -1500gms) plane with authority.
A direct drive with this motor seems appealing.

But !
I'm not sure if i should go ahead and make the purchase beacause with the added cost of battery and a peak charger I'll be stretching it.

Just want your opinion on what i should do.

Heres Problem# 2:

After a LOT of hunting on the net

i came across this :
www.parkflyers.com/html/viper.html

Its a viper twin flying wing. and the combo includes the 2 speed 400 motors,a 35amp ESC and battery for 149$ .
This has everything that i probably need ( except the elevon mixer) .

So what do i go for ?
:
1. a cheap can motor/gearbox setup for the PC-9s with an ESC and a 1700mah stock NiCad. ( have an mabuchi RS-540SH lying around.. btw are these RS540's any good??)

2. the brushless direct drive setup.

3. The Viper twin package.

-I'm not that worried about crashing beacuse the advantage of living in a desert country is LOADS n LOADS of soft SAND.
I've seen planes nose dive into sand dunes without much or any damage.

Appreciate any help !!
Old 08-04-2003, 02:56 PM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi,

Your problem with entry into e-flight is a common one. There are many choices, expense levels, and much to learn.

Buying a smaller, less expensive package is a good way to get some entry level experience into electric R/C. There are, however, many many choices. I would first find a place that ships internationally (like Hobby Lobby) and then pick a product that has proven success.

I think you can convert your 50" PC-9 to electric with a more cost effective geared R/C car motor initially. Save the brushless solution for another time when you are certain.

An example would be to use a geared Kyosho Endoplasma motor for $20 sold at Tower Hobbies. The Endoplasma is much better than a canned 05 or Speed 600 motor and it is the same size as a Speed 600 motor. You can gear this motor with a $13 Great Planes GD-600 gearbox and prop your plane accordingly for about 35 amps.

You can buy different pinion gears for the GD-600 gearbox and I recommend a higher reduction ration than 2.5:1 so but the 12T pinion gear for $3.79 and you can spinn an APC 11x8 e-prop.

Use a high current ESC (Electronic Speed Control) like the Great Planes C-50 for $50.

The 10-cell Great Planes Sanyo 1900SCR 10-Cell Thrust Pack for $45 will get you started safely but their are better capacity packs available on the market today.

The main thrust of my example here is that you can indeed buy a more cost effective power system from a single place like Tower Hobbies for converting for glow plane. After you have succeeded, you can upgrade various parts for increasing power or flight duration.

Good luck!
Old 08-05-2003, 03:57 AM
MTEXX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As per the peak charger, you're gonna want one.
Realize that by e-flying, you will torment those poor batt packs badly. Try to make them happy while charging at least.

Good luck with your eflight.