Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Quanli PBY MOtor problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 06:36 PM
moodier
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quanli PBY MOtor problems

Just got her back in air and back on ground!Previously starboard engine quit wouldjust chatter.Tried another engine same thing so changed out both ESC units Plush 25s.Ran fine till hard landing splashed bunch of water but not much.All treated with Corrison X!this time port engine did about same thing would basically chatter but if switched throttle up and down will sometime run?BUT!that engine turns over terrible not smooth real rough jerky feel to it yet could run on occcasion?These are those bell?engines I think that is it look like a bell?Tried another engine on that ESC and does same behavior!This thing really seems to stay dry compared to others I have delt with only few drops in fuselage.THis motor really seems bad but yet test indicate the ESC is badThe motor I tried in the spot did the same chatter and occasional run yet it is smooth running motor.people talk about the magnets coming loose and having toreglue them could this be the problem with this motor??New to this electric stuff about to decide that glow is pretty good after all so far run more reliably than electric that is why trying this electric thing!Thought theywere supposed to be more reliable??Any thoughts??Thanks
Old 01-04-2011, 07:37 PM
Dr Kiwi

Default RE: Quanli PBY MOtor problems

If that's what you have, cheap and nasty Tower Pro bell motors are notoriously unreliable!
Old 01-05-2011, 05:33 AM
moodier

Thanks:BUt these are from Nitro which I assume aren't any better than tower!!!!See HK sells some like this but again may not be mnuch better BUT!! the other thing is that another motor unrelated to this all acts the same way on thatESC?THe ESC is from HK a plush 25.They are mounted high in the fuselage sort of under the wing so unlikely they got wet and have had pretty good luck with useing corrison X on ones in seaplanes!The ESC's are new first flite is that how one might act on failure??Exact same behavior twice in this plane but fact that other motor acts same way makes me think ESC?FIrst probblem have had with there ESCs if that is it!Really appreciatte your opinions!Thanks!!
Old 01-05-2011, 07:28 AM
Dr Kiwi

I was thinking that the Plush 25s would be okay... and so suggested the motors....I guess you need to switch out the ESCs for new ones to see if that resolves the issue.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:03 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

A faulty motor can take out an esc. Could be why the good motor won't work with the esc off the bad one. You may have both a bad motor and esc on that side.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:39 PM
moodier

Thanks much for the replies!!Beginning to think one motor is bad it is real rough when turned over!I must have gotten some moisture into that ESC as now seems to be functioing OK I put on some COrrosion X and let it sit.Before useing again I will soak them in a pan as I have done but this time I was lax and only tried to squirt it into the ESC's.Was going to order new motors from HK but interesting I see they are called Tower Pro are these the ones mentioned earlier?Oh Well!they are cheap $5.49@I believe but then need to buy some decent mounts as this plane has the 1/2"sticks for the motors!Mounts cost couple bucks though!Actually the bad motor will run now but it is rough bearings? when turned over so will replace them anyway!Have a Canadaire and big PBY that was thinking of going electric on but beginning to question gthat idea but again they are heavy enoughmay not get blown over etc bythe wind on lake!Nice flite on my Adventuer 2 landed and wind flipped it took a day to dry out but OK now!Well thanksmuch for your comments!!!!