Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

APC props

Old 02-25-2011, 11:29 AM
rivas8409
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default APC props

So I'm trying to figure out if I can use an APC12x8 sport prop with an E-flite Power 46 and 60AMPESC along with a 4S lipo. I'm trying to figure all this outwithout a watt meter- it's being delieverd in a few days along with the props.I'm a little confused by the whole "thin electric" catagoryof APC props andwhat the difference is between the different categorys, mainly"thin electric" and "sport".

I've also got a T-34 with an E-FlitePower 25, 40AMPESC,that I use 3Sliposon. I wanted to put an APC11x8.5E prop on that one (still has the stock 12x8 prop) that I picked up at my LHS. I originally wanted to use the 11x8.5with thePower 46 in my Pulse XT40 but I've head that the performance on that small a prop wouldn't be all that great with that plane.Especially since thePulse has a MAS13x8.5 that's been beatup bynumerous tip strikes on the runway (there'sNOT a lot of clearence).That's why I wanted to go with alittle smaller prop with that one.

Any opinions? I just really don't want to ream out these props if Iwon't be able touse them.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:19 PM
DaveFlynn

Default RE: APC props

12x8 sport w/ 4S should be nice. I fly a 12x6 w/ 6S, a bit over current on the ground, about 20 amps in level flight. Get a watt meter ASAP, if you a going to stay with electrics it's essential.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:49 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am running a 13X6.5 with 5s on my Monster power 46, a copy of the Eflite. I too am using a 60 amp ESC. So the 12X8 should be fine on a 4s.

Here is the calc program I used to see if I would melt anything.

http://www.s4a.ch/eflight/motorcalc_e.htm

I have since used a watt meter just to make sure I won't melt anything or let the magic smoke out.

Buzz.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:05 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: rivas8409

So I'm trying to figure out if I can use an APC 12x8 sport prop with an E-flite Power 46 and 60AMP ESC along with a 4S lipo. I'm trying to figure all this out without a watt meter- it's being delieverd in a few days along with the props. I'm a little confused by the whole ''thin electric'' catagory of APC props and what the difference is between the different categorys, mainly ''thin electric'' and ''sport''.

I've also got a T-34 with an E-Flite Power 25, 40AMP ESC, that I use 3S lipos on. I wanted to put an APC 11x8.5E prop on that one (still has the stock 12x8 prop) that I picked up at my LHS. I originally wanted to use the 11x8.5 with the Power 46 in my Pulse XT40 but I've head that the performance on that small a prop wouldn't be all that great with that plane. Especially since the Pulse has a MAS 13x8.5 that's been beat up by numerous tip strikes on the runway (there's NOT a lot of clearence). That's why I wanted to go with a little smaller prop with that one.

Any opinions? I just really don't want to ream out these props if I won't be able to use them.
I use APC/MAS/ etc. gasser props all the time. More often then not because I can't find an electric version in the same size or blade count.
Only real difference is gasser props are heavier in weight and construction as they are for use in the vibrating slimer engines. Not something we electric flyers need to worry about. Balance em and they work fine.

Only problem you need to watch out for is the hub thickness. On smaller stuff they can be too thick for prop adapters, and you won't be able to get the retainer nut on.
Also something else. Use a prop reamer not a drill bit to enlarge the holes. A drill bit can walk on you and you'll end up with a vibrating prop as the hole isn't perfectly square.

Ditto a watt meter is a must, your number 1 tool. Also check out the various calc programs to give you ideas of what your set ups will do. I use www.motocalc.com It has a free 30 day trial. I like it better then the other calc programs as you also can set up your specific plane in the system and get flight specs on it.

I ran your various specs on it for you.
The 46 with the 12x8 and 4S lipo looks like this. 38.5 amps, 77 oz of thrust, and 61 mph prop speed

The 25 on 3S with the original 12x8. 43 amps, 69 oz thrust, 57 prop speed
The 25 on 3s with the 11x8.5. 37 amps, 56 oz thrust, 65 prop speed.

Use calc setting only for guestaments until you can verify them with your meter.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:13 AM
rivas8409

So to mysurprise my Watt Meter and props (along with other gadgets)showed up yesterday afternoon. I'll probably get to the soldering today, since the weather out here isn't the best, and hopefully get to run some static tests in the garage later on. I was a bit taken back by the weight of the 12x8 sport props compared to the E props I've got- they're heavy! Hopefully I'll get a chance to ream one out today as well...if I even need to...

Speaking of which, and ideas what to use,withthe sport prop,in place of the locating ring that comes with the Eprops?According to the specs theprop has a 5/16" shaft diameter (almost8mm, if I did the math right) but the porp shaft on thePower 46 is 6mm.That poses a problem....at least Iwould think it would.

Old 02-26-2011, 05:36 PM
Dr Kiwi

Most collet adapters for 6mm shaft will require an 8mm hub bore.... if necessary, a little reaming of the 5/16" hub should get the prop fitting smoothly on an 8mm OD adapter.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:08 AM
rivas8409

I did some static runs last night in the garage on both the Pulse and the T-34... I was quite surprised that the Power 46 (in the Pulse) was reading 834W with the 13x8.5 MAS that's on it. I didn't get a chance to put a 12x8 on it becasue I ran into a problem with one of the aileron servos that I started troubleshooting- for some reason when both ailerons are pluged in theleft servo doesn't respond very fast, but when it's the only aileron plugged in then it works fine. Hmmm....that's another thread though. None-the-less, 834W...that's seemed pretty impressive to me at least.

The T-34 on the other hand only put out 281W with the 11x8.5E APC propand a 3S lipo as apose to the 291W with the 12x8 stock prop. Ihope I read those nubmers right on the watt meter. Makes me wonder if the T-34 (either stock or with the 11x8.5) will handle a 4S lipo without upgrading the motor to a Power 32 and a 60AMP ESC- I don't think it will honestly butI guess it's worth a shot today. I'm definatelylooking for more performance out of the T-34 withour club's "warbird fly in" coming up this summer.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:28 AM
blvdbuzzard

The power of, the Monster power 46 surprised me when I flew my Giles 202 on 5s. It yanked that plane around like crazy. Now, I do not think it will hover with authority, but that is not what I am after. I fly it at about 1/2 to 3/4 and only use full throttle when going vertical. I have an APC 13x6.5 on my 46.

Buzz
Old 02-28-2011, 03:10 PM
rivas8409

Popped the APC 12x8 on the Power 46 last night with 4s- 689W, and under 40A. I was impressed and satisfied with that so I kept it on. I've got ALOT more prop clearance now on my Pulse which is a relief. I can always throw the 13x8.5 back on if I choose to, but I'm happy with12x8. I don't know what I would do without this watt meter, and I don't know how I went without it for as long as I did.

Now to get the T-34, with the Power 25, performance up from the stock 291W....without melting anything....
Old 02-28-2011, 04:35 PM
blvdbuzzard

I agree with you about the Watt meter. I can not function without it now. I used to just get the same power setup some one else had who had a watt meter.

Buzz.