Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

speed gearing..???

Old 03-01-2011, 11:28 PM
lukefafrowicz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speed gearing..???

hi guys, ive been a user but havent been on this forum for years. i recently got back into my electric rc cars and i got a problem cuz i cnt figure out the gearing to make my car faster. i have a xray t2 007 and my pinion gear was 32t and spur gear 71t and i clocked it at 67mph. i was told the bigger u go on the pinion(motor?) gear the faster ur speeds will be so i put in a 43t pinion gear and i clocked it at 59.... do i have this all backwards or something??? thanks.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:35 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: speed gearing..???

Umm you may have better luck in the car section instead of airplanes.

BUT, yes increasing the pinion gear teeth count, AND/OR reducing the driven gear teeth count will speed up your car, also it will reduce the power the car has.

Could be the new gearing set up didn't run a long enough distance to get up to full speed.

Like in a real car, if you are in low and hammer the throttle your will wind up pretty darn quick. Do the same in high gear and it's going to take a bit to get rolling and up to speed.

100 feet and the low gear set up will blow the high gear set up out of the water, 1000 feet and the high gear set up will be flying past the low gear set up.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:14 PM
Dr Kiwi

The motor may not have enough torque to move the car well with such high gearing (you may have taken it out of its optimum power band). Just for fun try it with, say, 37T pinion... you might strike a happy median!
Old 03-05-2011, 12:53 AM
lukefafrowicz

thank u guys