Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

What BATTERY?????

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2003, 07:57 PM
carrid02
My Feedback: (102)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What BATTERY?????

I've got a GWS 300C motor and a castle 20P speed control..... what battery and charger should I get that will deliver great 3D power for my Tribute? I've got everything else.... but I've been dissapointed with the results so far. ( I'm running a ni-cad 1830MaH 6v so far and had minimal success)

WHAT SHOULD I GET???? Any info will help.

Thanks,
Craig Rideout
Old 08-10-2003, 09:50 PM
sierra gold

I ran the stock GWS EPS 300C in my Slow Sticks until recently. I ran with 8 cell (9.6 volt) 1100mah NiMh packs. Good zippy performance and 12-15 min flights.

Are you really running 6 volts(5 cells) or 6 cells? You need more cells than that - 7 or 8 cells are best.

Sierra Gold
Old 08-11-2003, 02:16 AM
carrid02

Default Battery

well, I was running a 5 cell 1830 6v because it's what I had at the time. But I'm in serious need of MORE POWER..... really, the plane hardly flew. Anyway, where did you get your 1100 mil 9.6v pack and what charger are you using?
Thanks,
Craig Rideout
Old 08-11-2003, 07:44 AM
Wright Flyer

Etec 1200's

Cliff
Old 08-11-2003, 11:36 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

I highly discourage beginners from trying LiPoly batteries until they have a little experience under their belt. Beginners tend to make beginner mistakes, and this includes overcharging and otherwise generally abusing their first few battery packs. Abusing LiPoly packs is like poking a rabid wolverine with a stick.

A 5-cell pack is certainly not enough. I'm surprised it flies at all. Generally, you want a 6-8 cell pack, which you can pick up at practically any online electric aircraft vendor. Pay attention to the banner ads for possible sources. The hobby shop you purchased your Slow Stick from can order you a 6 or 7 cell GWS battery pack. I recommend their 700mAh NiMH packs. 10-12 minute flights...

An 8-cell pack will give you more than double the power of the 5-cell.
Old 08-11-2003, 01:02 PM
carrid02

Default battery

well, I appreciate all your help.... I'm still not sure what to do because i want to get the best performance that I can. (I've been flying a looonnng time) Also, I want to spend the least amount of money I can on this. So, why not get the Etec 1200 pack? I've read alot about them and if I get the right charger, how hard can it be? Parden my stupidity (if it really does take a lot of "know how") but again, I don't want to buy a battery that wouldn't perform, then have to get a better one later.

So, my question is... where do I get the Etec battery's and what else do I need to get to make it work? Or, if I need to get a lesser battery, where do I get them?

Thanks,
Craig Rideout

Oh, and it's not a slow stick that I'm flying, it's a Tribute from George Hicks
Old 08-11-2003, 04:21 PM
sierra gold

>>Oh, and it's not a slow stick that I'm flying, it's a Tribute from George Hicks>>

I noted that in your original post.

I only mentioned my SS so you would see what my use of the EPS 300C was, as a point of reference. I wasn't familiar with the Tribute, but I was with the motor.

Etec lipoly cells are quite pricey currently, and don't take too much physical abuse w/o the potential of dying. That's why they are not desirable for a newbie who might have more "hard landings." Not a problem in your case.

As someone else pointed out, the advertisers here carry battery packs of all types. Let your fingers do the walkn'.
Old 08-11-2003, 08:22 PM
carrid02

Default battery

Oh, well my remark about the slow stick was to Matt. I think he thought I purchased a slow stick. Anyway, I'll check around and see what I can find. If I got a NiMH battery, what charger would I need...

Thanks,
Craig Rideout
Old 08-11-2003, 08:50 PM
sierra gold

Default Charger

There are at least two popular opinions on this... buy a good one ($$$) and don't buy again - or, buy what will get the job done for now and probably buy the Triton later on.

The good one, a Triton for about $130, does about everything you will need. The less expensive ones ($35-50) will do Nicd and NiMh up to 8 cells. You make your choice, you pays your money. I bought a $50 one first and just recently got the Triton. I use both. The Triton is DC input only. My $50 MRC Superbrain 959 is AC/DC input.

Where to buy packs?

Cheap Battery has KAN NiMh 8 cell packs, 1050 mah for $20.

http://www.unipros.com/battpacks/mai...ssion_id=23703

Aeromicro has HE NiMh 8 cell packs, 1100 mah for $29.

http://www.aeromicro.com/index.htm

I have purchased from both places and had good experiences. Both packs are solid performers. Around 6 oz. each for 8 cells, if I remember correctly.

Sierra Gold
Old 08-12-2003, 11:16 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Sorry about that. Yours and Sierra's posts ran together on me. Still, it doesn't matter because the EPS300C is the same and performs the same no matter what plane it's installed on.

If you want to use LiPoly, you need to know a few things to use of them safely, and use them without destroying them. Why not just tell you this stuff? Because it's a lot of information that is impractical to type in every time a newbie asks about LiPolys, and a lot of information to absorb in one sitting. Why isn't it on a web page somewhere? It is. The vendors who sell the cells will generally have usage, care, and feeding info online.

To properly size the pack, you need to have a rough idea of how many Amps the motor draws. A particular LiPoly can only handle so much current. Draw too much, and you ruin the cell. By combining multiple packs in parallel, they share the load.

My preferred source of Etec LiPolys is either Bishop Power Products http://www.b-p-p.com or ParkFlyerMotors http://www.parkflyermotors.com.
Old 08-12-2003, 01:17 PM
carrid02

Default cool.

ok, sounds great. I'll look them up and try to understand more about them before I get one.
Thanks everyone,
Craig Rideout