Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

engine break in question

Old 08-17-2003, 11:47 AM
bigdrawz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine break in question

I read an article about breaking in my engine using water. Im clear on everything except the battery part, it says to use 2 or 3 cells only instead of a regular pack. could I use an old reciever pack the kind with 4 AA battries like you buy at the store just to break in engine. any info on this would help . thanks Tracy
Old 08-17-2003, 07:53 PM
PHIL I.

Default Here goes..

Do NOT oil before water breakin!!
You don't want to run the motor at hi RPM or HI power. For ease and power, use 2 batteries ONLY. If you can see the brushes, you are ahead of the game. You want to use the water breakin to fully SEAT the brushes and not wear them out. If you can't see the brushes, you want to run just long enough to see some of the brush dust, grime, in the water. Some will be very short, some up to 20 min. I would not run over 20. Spray clean with an electric motor spray and dry. OIL the bushings now---install and go have fun...
If the water bother you. Use 2 batteries with no water and just just run them down. It will take 30+ min and put a little more wear on the comm.
When done correctly, the water breakin works for both power and longevity!
X SLOTRACER,
PHIL I.
Old 08-21-2003, 06:23 AM
goldguy

I break in my motors by running them in 99% alcohol, as in methyl hydrate that you find in a paint store, using two "D" cells.
Old 08-21-2003, 10:52 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

I went to Radio Shack and bought a holder for two "D" alkaline cells for a few dollars, if figuring out how to connect the cells to the motor is worrying you.