Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Astro cobalt 05/geared- use 8 cells?

Old 08-19-2003, 12:59 PM
LowAndSlow
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Astro cobalt 05/geared- use 8 cells?

I have a cobalt 05 with 3/1 gearbox, want to design & build a 3-d plane for it. Instructions say 6 to 7 cells; anyone know if it can handle 8 cells? I have 1100 HECELLS packs. I wonder what thrust this setup will give. Total weight of motor & batteries is 16 ounces. how would this compare with an endoplasma on 8 cells? Thanks!
Old 08-21-2003, 07:58 PM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Astro cobalt 05/geared- use 8 cells?

Yes, 8-10 cells is not a problem with the Cobalt 05 motor as long as the current is kept to about 35-40amps.

The HECELLs, however, are not a good fit for this application. You'll need CP1300 NiCd cells or 1950FAUP NiMH cells to supply that kind of current level.

Good luck!