Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Motor, ESC most reliable choices?

Old 09-18-2011, 05:50 PM
Tomcat_104
My Feedback: (42)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor, ESC most reliable choices?

I need some help here; I have no E-Flite experience at all so your input is greatly appreciated.

My son just got a project to design, build & fly a RC Airplane with a max 20AMP motor. Doesn't appear to be any other limitations. How would affect a plane if you added a prop reduction to it? A bigger prop, more pitch sounds good but we have vast knowledge with gas & glow engines but are "electric virgins" so we need some help. Any motor manufacturer that I really look at (or stay away from)? Last question for now in-runner or out-runner: or does it really matter?
Old 09-19-2011, 06:28 PM
Dr Kiwi

Default RE: Motor, ESC most reliable choices?

How is this airplane supposed to fly? If it just has to dawdle around with the objective of long duration, choose a low Kv motor (or a higher Kv, geared motor) with a big, low pitch prop... but if there is a speed component, or a 3-D manouverability component, then that needs to be re-thought.

What battery is meant to be used... 20A on 2s (~140W) is very different from 20A on 6s (420W)!
Old 09-21-2011, 09:25 AM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Ditto what Doc said, give us the specs on the plane, pack, etc., and what it's supposed to be able to do and you'll get a ton of suggestions as to a power set up
Old 09-24-2011, 10:22 AM
Tomcat_104
My Feedback: (42)

Fixed wing (swing wing IS permitted)

3 Missions
Time trials: 1000ft course, complete the most laps
Ferry: 3.75lbs payload must complete 3 laps
Cargo Climb: Carry 2Liters of water to an altitude of 100m

NiCad or NiMH only, only limitation is they must weigh 1.5lbs or less

Motors are limited to 20A; a 20A fuse must be installed on the exterior of the aircraft

Only 1 battery per mission

He and I talked about it and what we’ve come up with so far is a top wing aircraft (4’ wingspan) with 0 dihedral and 2 degree AofA, tail dragger with flaps

From mfg’s specs we’re GUESSING an E-400 Park 400, 4200 Kv motor with a 6:1 gearbox turning a 12x8 prop

This is the basic config of the plane gathered from the “books”; what I would like, if you’ll help me, is the experience of guys who have actually been in electrics.

Tell me what you think is good and what we need to look at changing. We are thinking about making the wing a “swing wing” to get better speed; what do you guys think about that?
Old 09-26-2011, 02:36 AM
clscale-RCU
My Feedback: (7)

When I flew with Nicad packs the indivual cell size was well defined and the number of cells defined how much power you had. I had two packs for my Cub, it flew with an Astro Flight brushed 40 geared (super gear box) electric motor and either a 18 or 21 cell nicad pack. The packs weighed more than 1.5 lbs however. Astro flight had two gear boxes, the super gear box was for a slow flying cub type models and the std gear box was for faster flight speeds. Since you not allowed to use Lipos that will make it interesting.

Good luck