Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Replace Motor Shaft

Old 02-28-2012, 05:57 PM
lnl1950

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace Motor Shaft

I posted this on the Electric Training section as well.

OK, I have 2 motors that I want to replace a bent shaft on, #1 Rimfire .32, #2 Eflite Bl25.

Both motors have a hex key set screw that is not a 1.5mm (too small) and it is not 2mm (too large). I have searched for a 1.75mm hex key or something in between 1.5 and 2.0mm without success.

Is this some special size that is only available to the manufacturers or am I missing something here?

I have searched some of the other threads on the internet and it seems the Heli guys have the same problem with paddle screws.

I have already stripped out the socket on the Eflite by trying to use a 1.5mm hex, I did not use the ball end either because of the sloppy fit.

I spoke with Horizon about this to see if I could send in the motor and have them replace the shaft, they informed me that tthey did not do repairs on motors and that basically it is a disposable item.

Anyone know whats going on or is that basically it, disposable?
Old 02-29-2012, 07:14 PM
toywizard

Default RE: Replace Motor Shaft

Should be a 1/16 then. .0625

Old 03-08-2012, 07:48 PM
chuckk2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The quality of some hex keys leaves a bit to be desired. That, plus locktite on the setscrews is often nothing but trouble.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:07 PM
toywizard

oh for sure on the quality.
I am one of those guys that live under the eyeloop. 36 years in Automatic Screw Machines so I have a habit
of grabbing my micrometer to check the allen wrench. I find acuracy depends on the country. lol amazing huh?