Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Brushless motors in Foam Wings?

Old 09-03-2003, 09:14 AM
woodduck-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brushless motors in Foam Wings?

How rugged are the brushless motors in Foam wings such as the Unicorn or Zagi. These planes take a lot of abuse and I am wondering if a setup such as a Mega motor 16/15/4 with a Pixie 30 amp ESC will hold up.

Thanks

Woodduck
Old 09-03-2003, 10:33 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Actually, a Mega motor and a Pixie ESC won't hold up well in ANY plane. The Pixie series of ESCs are for brushed motors, and the Mega is a brushLESS motor. You're probably better off trying the PHOENIX series controllers.
Old 09-03-2003, 11:28 AM
woodduck-RCU

How about the Mega motor with the correct brushless ESC?
Old 09-05-2003, 06:26 AM
kenken
My Feedback: (1)

Thats what I am using in my Zagi; a Mega 16/15/4 with a Phoenix 25 ESC. You will love it, plenty of power, experiment with props, you will have a ball. I might try something a little larger, still having fun, thats what it is all about.

Jerry
Old 09-05-2003, 10:59 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Generally speaking, there is no reason why a brushless motor won't work in a foam airplane. Sometimes you can put too much power in the plane, and the motor will actually rip itself out due to torque, but setups like that are usually too heavy for the plane, and weight is always a consideration.

One thing you want to make sure of on the Zagi is that the wing is reinforced with carbon fiber spars as described at http://www.myzagi.com. If you push a Zagi too fast, you end up with the dreaded Zagi Flap(tm), and the wing literally flaps like a bird's.
Old 07-03-2004, 04:25 PM
lee292
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Brushless motors in Foam Wings?

Hey Matt,

I'm doing some shopping for my Unicorn also, and I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Mega 16/15/x or its Aveox equivalent. Some like 3 turns and other 4. I have a Phoenix 25 controller and can power with either 8 KAN 950s or 10 KAN 1050s. Does one motor have an advantage over the other? What are the advantages of 3 or 4 turns? I'd like to get the most versatile motor I can as I'd like to be able to use the motor in several aircraft. Thanks!
Old 10-02-2004, 01:15 AM
rmac714

I have a Combat Wings XE2. I have an Astro 020 and a 6 X4 prop and it is my favorite. 20 min flights WOT, (2100ma NIMH),barely gets warm, quality motor. Many of my flying buddies have gotten the Astro or are planning to get one after watching the performane of this beauty.
Old 10-02-2004, 09:49 AM
Foamaholic
My Feedback: (1)

My 48" 28 oz. foam wing (Razor) uses Mega 16/15/4, 8 cell battery, 6-4 apc electric prop, and goes like crazy.
Now I use TP 3s 2100 lipo and save 5 oz. and it goes straight up. What a kick.
The Mega is just fantastic in my wing.
Old 11-29-2004, 09:19 PM
MTEXX

As far as bang for the buck- get yerself a good brushless motor and ESC. I personally use the Astro 020 with CC 35 and 5.5x4 on 10 NiMH's.
It's more cost effiecient than getting LiPo's that will get sucked dry by a brushed motor.