Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Prop sizing for efficiency

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 08:04 PM
big_G

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Prop sizing for efficiency

Background....Converted nitro Cermark Javelin. Full throttle performance is very good for pattern flying. AUW 6 lbs. Motor is Leadershobby 9394001223655. 4s lipo 3800 ma/40C. Flight times 3 to 3.5 minutes. Lipo very warm after flight. Static amps are 82 at full throttle. (About 1100 watts). Running the recommended (motor mfr) 13/10 prop. If my tach. is correct 5,200 static rpm. My gut tells me too much prop. The full throttle amps should drop when flying...how much?. I do not want to exceed 60 amps flying. My esc does not log data. Fire away!.......
Old 07-14-2012, 06:38 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Prop sizing for efficiency

Here is a good online calculator program. You can run different props and see what they do to the amp draw and EFF.

http://www.s4a.ch/eflight/motorcalc_e.htm

I ran the numbers and it looks like you are on the upper edge or just over it with that prop. I then ran a 13X8 and it was out of the red. Then ran a 14X6, better EFF number.

Buzz.