Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

she needs more power!!!

Old 09-06-2003, 01:47 AM
cardinal7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default she needs more power!!!

will a 3 cell lithium burn up the motors on an a-10 ducted fan jet? i am not sure what type they are, but i am hoping somebody can help me. THere is not enough power from an 8.4 volt 8cell nimh or however u abbreiveate it. The airplane could not climb at all and you had to hold up the entire time or it would lose altitude. so should i use a # cell lithium?
Old 09-06-2003, 03:26 AM
SavoirFaire

Default she needs more power

I'm giving her all she's got, Captain (a la Scotty)
Old 09-06-2003, 11:06 AM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's funny because I was thinking about the same Star Trek line coming into this thread.

I've seen the stock GWS A-10s fly very well on a 3-cell Lithium pack. However, the motors seem to last for only about 15 flights.

I would first try a very lightweight 2-cell pack like a 2s2p Kokam 340SHC pack from Bishop Power Products. It can deliver 12amps continuous for a 680mAh capacity and only weighs 1.5oz.

The lighter weight should help add power.

Good luck!
Old 09-06-2003, 12:44 PM
cardinal7

Thanks, I will try that as soon as i can get a new battery. We also tried a 6 cell nihm battery and it seemed to climb, but just a very little bit, but it was still an improvement. The 2 cell lithium souds like a good idea. Thanks
Old 09-06-2003, 05:14 PM
jimbosstuff1

Default slug

I to had the "I don't want to climb!!!lots of up trim..big time nose heavy and it was in the middle of the suggested c/g range..go figure! so its back at the aft most and a smidge more and with the seven 720's it flys, i say, but I'm going to try the li-pl also and see what happens,llighter wing loading,. thanks for all the advise out there ,,Jim
Old 09-06-2003, 05:32 PM
jimbosstuff1

Default great web page....

Greg, thank you for your dedication to the rc electric community it is persons like yourself that make this hobby so much fun.. your willingness to share. I will be wearing out your page for sure,I just came from there and Wow, I'm going to learn some neat stuff. Just so I have a question, how do you change the gws motors in the A-10 anyoldways,,I know doubt be fry them soon. E-Jim
Old 09-06-2003, 09:17 PM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the kind remarks. My Web site clearly reveals my obsession with electric flight.

I believe that the GWS motors are simply press fit into the ducts and the props are also press fit onto the motor shaft.

The A-10 my friend has flies very well on Lithium cells...even in wind. Those tiny GWS motors are impressive.