Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Power problem

Old 09-10-2003, 01:30 PM
crash99
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power problem

I used a motor and gearbox that came with the GWS Slow Stick. I think the motor is a 300.

I made a qhor (SPAD) using foam board but this motor will keep it airboarne for a min but it needs more power.

I am using a GWS 9.6 V and 730 Ma battery. So can you please tell me what needs to be done to get me more power?

Thanks
Crash99
Old 09-10-2003, 07:16 PM
crewchief_432

Default RE: Power problem

If it's the motor i'm thinking it is take the prop off and see if it will run backwards faster than it will foward.if it will you should be able to retime it.it will wear the motor out faster,but it makes a big differnce in power,i think it does anyway.try this link it will show you how it is done. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=97414
Old 09-11-2003, 07:09 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

The lettering on the propeller should be facing forward when it's installed on the gearbox. However, you were flying it on a Slow Stick, so I presume you already had the prop installed correctly.

The QHOR is not a very efficient airplane, so it needs a very high power-to-weight ratio. To me, it sounds like your foamie QHOR is too heavy. Did you use aluminum channel for the fuselage?

With the battery and power system you have, you probably should have the plane at 12oz or less if you want performance like the "full scale" QHOR.

One thing that worries me is the motor only flying the plane for a minute. This could indicate a problem with the motor itself. Was this a well-used Slow Stick that you harvested the motor from? Is the battery completely discharged after this minute of flight?

Also GWS has come out with a new EPS350C power system. It uses the hotter 6V version of the Speed 300 motor, while your EPS300C uses a 7.2V version (lower V number is a more powerful motor). It'll draw more Amps, so your flight time will be shorter.
Old 09-11-2003, 07:54 AM
crash99
My Feedback: (3)

Did you use aluminum channel for the fuselage? Yes

Was this a well-used Slow Stick that you harvested the motor from? No, it is new.

Is the battery completely discharged after this minute of flight? No, You loss flight after a min. We had 4 flights before the battery started to go.