Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Brushless Twin - ESC configuration question

Old 09-11-2003, 08:18 AM
stahlmangc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brushless Twin - ESC configuration question

I plan to build Mark Rittingers Sportwin (originally for 2 sp400 DD) with two DD brushless motors. I have an ESC question(s).

How should I set this up?
1) Two BL ESCs, one for each motor with a "y" connector from the reciever to the ESCs
ESC - Motor #1
RCVR ---<
ESC - Motor #2

2) One BL ESC with a "Y" connector to each motor

Motor #1
RCVR --- ESC---<
Motor #2

Or some other way.
Thanks
Gray
Old 09-11-2003, 03:54 PM
mecam
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Brushless Twin - ESC configuration question

Option 1 with two battery packs or Y cable and share the power source. You plug both ESCs to the receiver but you only turn on one or remove the red wire on one of the ESCs receiver plug so even if you accidently turn on both ESCs, only one would be powering the receiver.

I don't know if powering both ESCs to the receiver would damage the receiver (it's like using two battery packs, which works fine on my giant scales ) but I wouldn't gamble on it cause we don't know what the ESCs are sending to the receiver..
Old 09-11-2003, 11:35 PM
Dave Lilley

2) One BL ESC with a "Y" connector to each motor
I would be very careful selecting the ESC and motors. I know a few people have attempted this successfully. However, a brushless ESC doesn’t just shove current through the motor like a brushed controller does. A brushless controller generally has to know the position of the motor’s rotor. If you have two motors on one controller, the results could be unpredictable, unless you are using a set up that it known to work well.

One thing I have heard repeatedly is that once both motors are turning the correct direction, you should not power below idle while in flight. If you do, you cannot be sure that both motors will start up. Other people claim that start-up in flight is not a problem because the props are already windmilling (if the brake has been disabled.)

By the way, word of mouth is that kontronik controllers can run two kontronik motors without problems. www.kontronik.com
Old 09-11-2003, 11:40 PM
Foxtrot_019

How about 2 motors, two ESC's W/ batteries and then a y-connector in the ESC's to the receiver? Would there be too much power for the receiver?

-Foxtrot
Old 09-11-2003, 11:45 PM
Dave Lilley

See mecam's note above...