Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

home made gear box???

Old 09-11-2003, 06:52 PM
VIC VIC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default home made gear box???

aren´t there any plans to build gear boxes? i have a motor with pinion and spur gear, but don't know how to atach it to the prop. any information will be apreciated!
Old 09-12-2003, 07:22 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: home made gear box???

Generally, a gearbox is simply two flat plates spaced far enough apart so the gears can fit in between. There are holes in the plates for bearings for the spur gear shaft, and slots in which to mount the motor with the pinion. The slots allow you to adjust the gear lash, or use different sized pinions for different gear ratios.

As far as plans go, most electric fliers don't build their own, so if there is a set of plans, it's not well known. If you've got the machine tools and the knowledge to use them, though, you ought to be able to use some pictures and educated guesses to lay out and machine the plates. The MEC Superbox and Mosterbox are good examples of a quality gearbox at www.modelelectronicscorp.com.