Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Prop Adapter Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 05:41 PM
Got RPM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Prop Adapter Issue

All: I have a Scorpion S4020-8 running a 13x6.5 on 4S. The original Scorpion prop adapter came off the end of the shaft when I did a static ground test - logging says I didn't even reach top rpm. I have purchased a TruTurn adapter, but I cannot tighten it enough to grip the 6mm shaft by holding onto the prop. I have to hold onto the collet shaft to tighten the nut, and even then I can rotate the whole adapter assembly on the shaft by holding the motor and turning the prop. However, I can pull on it as much as I dare and it does not slip off the end of the shaft. The shaft has been thoroughly de-greased. What else can I do, I am tired of losing props. Thanks in advance.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:26 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Prop Adapter Issue

Is the Collette bottomed out on the shaft? If so try pulling it forward a 1/16th or so. I had one that had a burr or was not machined correctly. It worked when I pull it back a tad.

Buzz.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:40 AM
Gohmer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Got RPM

All: I have a Scorpion S4020-8 running a 13x6.5 on 4S. The original Scorpion prop adapter came off the end of the shaft when I did a static ground test - logging says I didn't even reach top rpm. I have purchased a TruTurn adapter, but I cannot tighten it enough to grip the 6mm shaft by holding onto the prop. I have to hold onto the collet shaft to tighten the nut, and even then I can rotate the whole adapter assembly on the shaft by holding the motor and turning the prop. However, I can pull on it as much as I dare and it does not slip off the end of the shaft. The shaft has been thoroughly de-greased. What else can I do, I am tired of losing props. Thanks in advance.

Get a motor with a bolt on prop adaptor. Collets are worthless on that big a prop.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:19 PM
Got RPM

Thanks guys. I solved the issue by lightly scoring the shaft with 400 grit paper, then using some Neverseeze on the collet. This allowed the wrench torque to go into squeezing the collet instead of fighting friction. Now the adapter stays on at WOT with a 13x8.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:13 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a good fix. Let us know if it comes off again (in operation) I'm puttin' this fix in my pocket for later.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:53 AM
Got RPM

After five more runs the adapter is still on tight with no hint of movement. If you try the Neverseeze, don't use much. It only take a light film on the conical surfaces for it to do its thing.