Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Wattage Cobalt 400, Super or Not???

Old 09-15-2003, 05:53 PM
RCaillouet3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wattage Cobalt 400, Super or Not???

Thinking of buying the little motor and am wondering as to any opinions, problems, or anything else anyone can share on this little thing!

Thanks,

Reg
Old 09-16-2003, 07:02 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Wattage Cobalt 400, Super or Not???

Your money would be better spent on a brushless motor. It's an okay motor, but not great. My first one started losing power after a half-dozen flights, and I wasn't even working it.
Old 09-16-2003, 09:56 AM
LowAndSlow
My Feedback: (5)

I have been flying a 2 meter glider with a cobalt 400,direct drive with 8x4 prop, and the little motor puts out great power for its weight- running around 20-25 amps on 8 KAN cells; 1050mah NIMH. It puts out about as much as my AstroFlite cobalt 05 geared on 8 cells, and the Astro motor weighs 8 ounces to the Super 400's 3.5! I don't see how any motor, brushless or whatever, can do any better on 25 amps, 8 cells, because the wattage (around 200 watts) is about the same, and this is power! The brushlessmotors, and the Astro, are more efficient, so would run a little longer per charge, and they will no doubt last longer, but for the money, the cobalt 400 does great.
now the downside: I read discussions where people said the cobclt 400's came apart after a short time, and that the first models,with gold color, were bad. The next models, blue, which I have, some were good, some not. Then they brought out yellow models (hard to tell from the gold) which seemed O.K. After reading this, I broke-in mine exactly according to directions, which called for a lengthy break-in starting with small props and low voltage. At first my motor ran erratic as the brushes seated, finally ran smooth. Bottom line- for the huge difference in cost vs. a brushless with expensive controller, the Super cobalt if carefully broken-in, is a good choice for most kinds of flying. Now Hobby People has larger cobalt motors- 05's etc. that cost half of an equivalent brushless setup, and they have planetary gearboxes for them, including the cobalt 400. . I would try one, except that I have the Astro 05.
Old 09-20-2003, 01:37 AM
edoc

My experiance was the same as Matt's

I had one of the early ones with no break in instructions. It was junk in a couple weeks. And that was on only a 6x4 prop and 8 cells.

Brushless can last nearly forever! Try a Mega 16/15/X you will love it. Or if you need a geared motor the Himax might do well. ( I have one ordered and can't vouch for it yet)

Wattage super Cobalt plus gear drive $66.98
Himax with gear drive $79. 95 (Well worth the extra $)

Himax HA2025-4243 & Phoenix 25 ESC $139.95
http://www.toddsmodels.com/brushlessmotors.htm
Old 09-28-2003, 09:30 PM
imsofaman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a MPI cobalt motor on my Electrajet, I have used this set up for over a year now and it rips!!! I have had no problems....it is a real work horse. I know that a brushless set up is more eficient, but this works.....when the brushes are low and worn....just change them. It is not rocket science. I do have brushless set ups in my other planes, but for now...this set up with the cobalt motor is working just fine. [link=http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-26.html]Maxx Products[/link]

[link=http://home.att.net/~imsofaman/dave_surace_rc_homepage.htm]Dave Surace RC Homepage[/link]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85742.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	64321  
Old 09-29-2003, 09:08 AM
Dezynco

I have one that seems ok on my FMA Razor (flying wing). I didn't do anything but strap it on and fire it up....

I would probably go brushless though, given a choice.
Old 09-29-2003, 09:21 AM
Steve Neu
My Feedback: (1)

Keep in mind that there are good brushless motors and poor ones--just like brushed motors. So far the Asian brushless motors are little better than cheap brushed motors. The Eastern European are a bit better--but if you want good motors you generally have to get them from Western European companies or from U.S. companies. The biggest issue seems to be the steel used in the stator is of poor quality leading to low efficiency.

Just because it is brushless does not mean it's better!

Steve
Old 09-30-2003, 09:02 PM
Crymefyghter
My Feedback: (1)

Ditto the FMA Razor. I replaced a Graupner 400 with the Wattage Super 400 Cobalt 27T(gold or yellow, I not sure which), I picked up at a very reasonable price in RCU. Added a 7 x 6 prop and required a stouter ESC. A drastic increase in performance with approximately equivalent fly time. But given the Cobalt list price, if you can afford the difference, consider brushless. Steve W.
Old 10-10-2003, 05:41 PM
Wingman33

Low and Slows stats are perfect ,This motor is great with a tractor prop .but the armature only has a fiber insulating washer as a thurst bearing .so as a pusher (ZAGI) it burns up the washer and shorts out the arm.so if you get it for 29.99 what the heck .these opinions have been formulated under extensive testing as the picture of all my burnt supers shows... though by tripleing the phenolic washer or installing a thrust bearing i have quit toasting these little cheap powerhouses.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84495.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	66889   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uq49701.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	66890   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp35373.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	46.1 KB