Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Lubricating motor bearings

Old 09-16-2003, 03:22 PM
Hanger-Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lubricating motor bearings

The speed 300 motor on my Mini Piper began to squeak loudly. Sure enough...dry bearings. A couple drops of lube fixed it.

Anybody else have any ideas? Best lubricant for electric motor bearings? I used a was based lube that dries and seals out dirt after lubricating.

Your thoughts welcome.
Old 09-18-2003, 08:57 AM
Dr Kiwi

Default RE: Lubricating motor bearings

I don't have it in front of me, but I use a "turbine oil" about the consistency of 3 in 1 [can't remember the brand name, lettering is green!] from my LHS - it comes in a plastic bottle with an extendable tube/spout. Very convenient for getting one drop at a time into tight spots.

Cheers, Phil
Old 09-19-2003, 07:19 PM
edoc

Any HS that sells parts for Electric RC cars will usually carry a product called "Comm Drops" It is a light machine oil that is also supposed to help with Electric conduction at the brushes.

I have used it several times on speed 400's/ 300's that seemed to be loosing power and it was like magic. Now I try to remember to put a drop on each bearing and on the brushes at least twice a season.

Tim
Old 09-19-2003, 10:58 PM
Dr Kiwi

Now I'm home I found the plastic bottle I referred to above. It's called "The original zoom spout oiler, contains highest quality turbine lubricating oil" Net 4fl.oz. Part No. 75A (lettering is blue not green!). Especially made for Industrial Equipment, Electric Motors, Bearings, Bushings........Manufactured by Norvey Inc. 300 S.Standard Ave., Santa Ana, CA 92701.

Try some, you'll love it!

Cheers, Phil
Old 09-20-2003, 07:51 PM
PHIL I.

DO NOT USE WD 40!!! It is NOT a lube.
Your LHS should have an oil for R/C cars! If not, a lite machine oil---3-in-one----ect..will work well. Right now I found a sylicone lube that works well. When I ran slotcars, I made my own concoction. I used 5 wt MOBILE 1 synthetic with PROLONG additive---50-50 mix. It lasted 2 of us racing most weekends over a year and we NEVER had a seizure and bushings lasted 2-3 times longer than using regular'oil'.
Comm drops attack brushes, making them soft, sliding easier and to make a better contact. They also make a sludge that can fill the slot in the comm and short everything out. USE VERY SPARINGLY if used at all. Slot drag racers used comm drops every run and would clean the motor after every run with Electric Motor Spray Cleaner. Brushes didn't last very long either!
X-SLOTRACER
PHIL I.
Old 09-21-2003, 02:34 AM
edoc

Phil I.,

Now you've got me worried.... Did a search and spent an hour reading everything I could find on "Comm drops" seems to be more art/magic than science. Many formulas, but most use near 100% PROLONG. Depends alot on type of brushes you have. etc. All agree with you, that with some brushes, if you use them (including PROLONG) alot they will soften and gum up you brushes.

I guess I will continue to use them but continue to use sparingly, since they have worked so well when a can motor looses power. I have gotten 200+ flights from each of 2 speed 400 motors on a Zagi before I finally replaced the can motors with an Aveox BL. Those motors would have a dramatic improvement in power for many flights after a couple drops of Comm drops on the bearings and brushes. Seemed to prolong life of the motor. Maybe my "Comm drops" are just expensive machine oil! Same experiance with a couple other speed 400s/300's and one 280. But I never used them often.

Another warning I found in my search was to avoid any oil with silicone since that will also gum up an engine.

Looks like DR. Kiwi's oil might be the safest...

Tim
Old 09-29-2003, 04:56 PM
PHIL I.

[:@]
EDOC
Thanks on the sylicone shot. I haven't used it long enough to get the guming yet...
I think I'll go back to my tried & tru setup....
Even an ol' dog CAN learn a new trick..........
[>:]
PHIL I.
Old 10-04-2003, 10:57 AM
tunnelvishon

I mix very light oil with Slick 50 and it has worked well for me. Oilite bearings are non-compatible with a lot of petrol based oils (WD-40 ect..)
Old 10-04-2003, 03:29 PM
PHIL I.

That works!
PHIL I.
Old 10-11-2003, 04:58 PM
Wingman33

I swear by Three and one And I have tried a wheel barrel full of them.