Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Kitbuilders...please check this thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2003, 12:40 AM
JanetC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kitbuilders...please check this thread

I need some help with this if if you kitbuild...thanks http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Look...1144581/tm.htm
Old 09-18-2003, 01:33 AM
Grampaw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Kitbuilders...please check this thread

JanetC...

Get a Hobby Lobby catalog! You'll find a wealth of electric items and info there. I like the way they set up the motor section starting with the small 280s and going on up. With each motor you'll find info on Watts, Volts, Prop size, Thrust and Plane Sizes. Also with the planes, kits or ARFs, there is a list of the recommended motors, ESCs and power packs recommendated. I've found this catalog to be a great source of electric information. It's well worth the $3.00! You can find a Link to Hobby Lobby here on RCU.

My Brother-In-Law rebuilt a full sized 24R round nosed version back in the 70s. I
felt like my feet were up in the engine! Real short nose moment! I believe you mentioned you were building the long nose Ranger version. Good choice for a model, as the longer nose offers more space to aid in balancing without adding tail weights. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
Old 09-18-2003, 04:22 PM
JanetC

Thanks Grampaw I will check hobby lobby. Thanks so much for your help. I do have a link in the kitbuilders forum which also runs like this, I posted here at Minnflyers suggestion. I will keep one or the other thread updated..Janet
Old 09-18-2003, 06:37 PM
Mike Taylor
My Feedback: (1)

Hello, Janet. I'm glad you stopped by. Here is another thought: Since you're dealing with stick-and-tissue issues, check out Ssmall Flying Arts's discussion forums. These guys are all stick and tissue / rubber / free flight fanatics. You may find some interesting information there. http://www.smallflyingarts.com/
Old 09-18-2003, 07:37 PM
JanetC

Hey Mike, Nice to see ya again here, Thanks for the link. I seem to be all over the place with this kit. I have noticed since coming to these forums that there are much better quality planes to build.... I was looking at the laser cut Sig cabinaire that I put on the backburner for now, and the wood is also superior. I have another Guillow Kit sport flyer still in box, but it will be a while before I build that one....I love the kits, but some of the others are so much easier..." builder Friendly"....Best regards and thanks for posting....Janet

PS: Great Website......Thanks
Old 09-21-2003, 02:10 PM
Jim Finn
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those small rubber powered models are tough to make R/C electrics out of. In my experiance larger planes are easier to build and much easier to fly R/C. As a rule of thumb when choosing an airplane to build electric, the motor and battery and esc should weigh about 1/2 the total all up weight.
Old 09-27-2003, 10:18 PM
drksyd

Janet
It can be done. You could try the GWS IPS-1 motor and gearbox with their 2 amp esc and two of their Pico servos or any servos 5 to 6 grams. Best bet would be to use 2S Kokam 560 mah or 2S Etec 700 mah.
For more opinions try asking at [link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&forumid=13]EZone[/link]