Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Hobby People ESC problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 07:52 AM
bkallen5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Hobby People ESC problems

I bought 2 of there .46 electric conversion kits, which includes the Motor (G-46), 80 Amp ESC & LiPo 18.5V 4.5A battery at a good price. I converted a nitro Nexstar & a Eagle II successfully, & flew them on a buddy system with my friend Ron who can fly anything! I'm still learning... We noticed a strange phenomena, if you advance the throttle to max quickly the Motor would 'clunk' & slow dramatically, this happened on both A/C, we tried different props etc with no change. I crashed both A/C, no doubt finger trouble! so I didn't pursue the problem further until I bought an RV8 (e flight) from a friend that needed an ESC, I had recovered one of the Hobby People 80A ones & the e-flight motor was a .46 equivalent, so I installed that & everything seemed OK (I used one of the 18.5v LiPos) Flew the RV8 a couple of times reasonably OK but at max power the 'Clunking' happened again! I also had a brand new Hobby People 60A ESC which would still power the Motor OK so Installed it on the RV8 & guess what at max power we got the clunking issue!
I'm an retired electronics engineer so I decided to delve further, I connected a Watt/Power meter in series with the LiPo & the 80A ESC (in the plane tethered) & gradually increased the throttle towards max everything was fine until it reached around 27A & the clunking occurred, backed off the throttle & the motor ran smoothly, but every time I advanced the throttle at around 27A it clunked. Tried same test with the 60A ESC same problem.
One of our members works at the Hobby People shop & suggested I bring the whole setup in, I did & we could repeat the issue every time. He consulted with one of their electrical experts who said he had the same experience with these ESC's! The upshot is I bought a Castle 70A ESC & it works like a charm with no issues at all.

Hobby People are working on giving me credit for the faulty ESC's, don't get me wrong they are good shop & give great service & discounts to the club.

I'm posting this issue to see if anyone else has seen this problem & as a warning to others.