Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives
Reload this Page >

E-flite carbon-z splendor-maiden flight attempt issues

Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

E-flite carbon-z splendor-maiden flight attempt issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 04:20 AM
burn0n3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy E-flite carbon-z splendor-maiden flight attempt issues

Just picked up a new Carbon-Z Splendor. Put it all together and installed a fully charged E-Flite 6S 3200mAh lipo(the manufacturers recommended pack). Took it to my clubs local groomed flying field and tried taking off for my first maiden flight. I performed all my pre-flight checks to make sure everything was working properly. Everything seemed perfect. I pointed her into the wind (it was only a slight breeze, pretty much a perfect day) and hit the throttle to about 80% or so. The plane started rolling up the runway, but then immediately nosed over and the propeller started chopping the grass and it came to a quick halt. I instantly cut the throttle back to 0. About 5 seconds later the ESC FRIED. The capacitors on the ESC caught on fire and it burst into flames. Luckily the fire quickly went out once the capacitors melted and it didn't burn the LIPO pack. It charred a little bit of the foam in the nose of the fuselage where the ESC was mounted, but nothing major. I can't figure out for the life of me what in the world happened to make the ESC burn up like that so quick. I've flown in this field many many times and as always, I apply slight up elevator to keep the nose up during taxiing and takeoffs, but this particular plane immediately nosed right over. I've had a few "weed whacking" experiences in my past with other aircraft, but immediately cut the throttle and it's fine. This splendor caught fire in NO TIME! Not sure if it was a bad ESC or what the problem is. I have since re-ordered a new factory ESC replacement. Hope it doesnt catch fire again. Any suggestions??
Old 02-04-2015, 06:25 PM
Stik-n-Rdr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you hit a patch of taller grass or a gopher hole? Looks like just plain bad luck to me. I'm thinking that HH should have replaced your ESC though, any luck getting that done?

I just maidened my Splendor brought by Santa last Saturday and the thing is a rocket. Damn, wish I purchased four of them (one for a spare, and two to sell at 200% markup). I replaced the AS3X receiver with a Futaba R617FS and am running 3300mAh compact Zippy lipos.

Hope everything worked out for you.