Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

ESC problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 06:14 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESC problem

I am still stumbling around with all this electric technology. I have a new 30 amp Mystery brand ESC. There is absolutely no response when I hook this thing up on the bench, The motor does absolutely nothing, doesn't even beep so I don't really know what to do. The motor runs fine if I substitute a known good ESC in place of this Mystery brand thing. The question is whether there is a way to return this new ESC to its default settings, start from ground level and hope it starts producing some beeps so I can program it.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:14 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I take it you have no documentation for the ESC.

My experience is that most brushless ESC will work with most brushless motors. Some may be better matched but I have not seen a combination that would not run.

You used a known good motor with an alternative ESC and things worked. So that implies the ESC is the problem.

Have you tried that Mystery ESC with another motor?

Last edited by aeajr; 12-17-2014 at 01:16 AM.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:11 PM
planemann2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try setting the throttle range of the ESC; set the transmitter throttle stick to high, plug in the battery to the ESC, the ESC should beep one time when it beeps once return the transmitter stick to low throttle, the ESC should beep once more and should start working. Should only have to set the throttle range once.

Last edited by planemann2000; 01-09-2015 at 05:20 PM.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:22 PM
Quorneng

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

First make absolutely sure all the connections to the ESC are sound, particularly the battery side.
If you are sure they are correctly connected then I am afraid it sounds like your ESC is dead. I have had lots of Mystery ESCs 20A, 30A & 40A and they have all worked when plugged in with no further set up required on brush less out runner motors from 1000kV to 10,000kV. The only programming has been to set the brake as required.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:57 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 to the above post. I also have used a few and they need nothing programmed to turn a motor. Also follow the other post and see if you can put it in programming mode. If you still get no tones from the motor yet you get tones and can operate the same motor using a different esc with the same transmitter/receiver then the Mystery esc is probably bad or living up to its name..........a mystery !