Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

How to inscrease my airspeed ?

Old 05-06-2015, 07:40 PM
My Feedback: (131)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How to inscrease my airspeed ?

I have this foamie:

Unique Models T-6 Texan II (aka HK Pilatus PC-9)

This plane flys a bit slow for my blood- It looks fast in some of the videos, and looks fast sitting still. It don't thrill me in the air like it looks like it would when it's on the ground. Can anyone recommend a better motor to make this bird a lil' more peppy?
I don't need a 100mph pylon racer...But It would be nice to het it pretty close.
Especially since there are planes like the ROC Reno Racers can do it on their stock 4 blade set ups (IE Strega, Super corsair, & high Speed warbirds)...So why can't I on the same speed on the same battery they say they're using ?

New to electrics here, so thank you in advance for your kind advice/ mentorship.

Here's the stock equipment in her:

Prop:4-paddle 11*7 propeller Static thrust:1600g Motor:850KV Ф35X37XФ4 ESC:45A Brushless ESC

I'm using a 2200mah 14.8v 30 battery

I wonder if I used an ESC with more umph like a 65A ESC if that would work with the stock motor and a 5 cell battery? Or a bigger motor and a 5 cell battery of 30 or more if that would do? or should I just switch switch to a shorter 4 blade prop to 2 blades ?

I'd kinda' like to use the stock 4 blade scale look though.

Thanks in advance to your help ~
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	t-6-slider.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	2094422  

Last edited by NoFlaps; 05-06-2015 at 07:43 PM.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:37 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

EVERYTHING YOU WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT ELECTRIC POWERED FLIGHT
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7100376/tm.htm

Based on your questions you might want to look at the free book posted above. Changing the ESC will do nothing.

Always best to post a link to the model. Is this your bird?
http://rcinformer.com/unique-models-t-6-texan-ii-pc-9/

Detailed T-6 TEXAN II / PC-9 Specifications:

Material: EPO
Wing Span: 1200mm(47.24in )
Length: 1200mm(47.24in )
Height: 430mm16.93in)
Flying Weight: 1600g
Retracts: 3×electronic retracts
Servos: 6X9g high speed micro servos
Prop: 4-bladed 11×7
Static Thrust: 1600g
Motor: 850KV Ф35X37XФ4
ESC: 45A Brushless ESC
Battery: 11.1V 1800mAH-2200mAH 25C

Flying weight is the first item I need - 1600 Grams. OK

The specs say you have 1600 grams of thrust. So the bird should be able to climb almost straight up. Right? From the video it looks like it has plenty of power.

Problem is I have no idea how many watts that motor is pulling. Just because it has a 45 amp ESC does not mean the motor is pulling 45 amps.

If you want more speed you need to spin that prop faster or change the prop.

It is possible you could go to a 4S battery pack but without readings from a Wattmeter I can't tell if the motor, the battery or the ESC can take it.

Last edited by aeajr; 06-04-2015 at 02:40 PM.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:49 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

In the second video he talks about changing the prop and recommends a 12X12 2 bladed prop which he says runs pretty fast and draws less power than the stock prop.

You could try a 4 blade 11X8 or 11X9, if you can find them. But I would definitely recommend working with a wattmeter to be sure you don't overdraw the ESC or the battery.

This is the one I use
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXLMV0&P=ML