Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives
Reload this Page >

Converting an old kit to brushless, ESC advice please

Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Converting an old kit to brushless, ESC advice please

Old 09-19-2015, 10:26 PM
[email protected]

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting an old kit to brushless, ESC advice please

Hello!
I've picked up an old flair Bf110 kit that I'm building. I'm updating it to brushless motors. It had no landing gear and the rudders didn't move. Also putting retractable gear on too. All these will be resolved

My question is this. What amp rating SBEC or BEC (again please say which I need, I'm heading towards SBEC from what I've read)?

Here is what is inside.

3 x micro servos (rudders and tail wheel needed to be separate because of space issues)
1 x standard servo for elevation
4 x wing servos
2 x retracts
Optional 2 extra micro servos to close the nacelle landing gear doors. Not figured out how to get this working yet.

Also, the original motors were 2 x 600's. So 2 of the equivalent brushless motors.

I'm new to brushless and the ESCs to power them. I've read up on the difference between BEC and SBEC. I'm more after sujested ratings and possible products (assuming this forum allows that)

Thanks in advance.

Mike
Old 09-20-2015, 05:07 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since it was designed for 600 series motors you may want to look at brushless inrunner motors instead of outrunners as they may fit better in the nacelles. Maybe something like the Ammo motors.
The ESC should be rated for the motor and most have internal BEC's to support the receiver and servos. If you want to run an external BEC that is fine but you will need to disable the internal BEC on the ESC's by removing the red wire from each ESC receiver plug.
You will need an ESC for each motor and one external BEC.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLWY4&P=7
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXKSY5&P=ML
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXSWL3&P=ML
Old 09-25-2015, 11:05 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

How is your project progressing. Still need help?