Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Questions about ESC... LVC, programing ect...

Old 06-19-2016, 12:39 PM
mike96

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about ESC... LVC, programing ect...

First off, I apologize for the longer read. If you want to skip to the bottom where I have my questions... Feel free.

OK. To start I have been in and out of RC hobbies for some time. Flew free flight 1/2A as a kid, had a couple of 2 channel gliders during that time (never really flown anything powered RC). Got into RC cars a fer years after I stopped flying. Went through periods of not using the RC cars a few times. Recently got back into cars again do to several people I work with being into them (apparently a lot of people in the motorsports industry have expensive toys...) One of my driving buddies has recently got into drones. While drones aren't really in my interest, it did spark a bit of interest in flying again. So my goal was cheep trainer to start with and maybe go up from there.

So I have an old FM 4 channel that came with a Helimax copter given to me a long time ago. From what I understand it does have a limited range 600-800 feel IIRC which should be enough for a smaller trainer. I was given a RCMC 30A ESC and a Propdrive 28 1200KV brush less motor for the build. Right now I have everything in an STM Piper Cub fuselage that I cant remember where I got it from but my wife traded something for a while ago. I know Piper Cub = probably not the best trainer, this one seems really heavy for a foam plane. I am thinking of building something a bit lighter like an FT Old Fogey to actually fly. All in all I think I have about $50 wrapped up in it (props, battery, connectors, and some other small items)

Today I did some testing. Charged my battery, connected a volt meter between the motor and ESC to monitor voltage under load. From what I have been reading it is not a good idea to run the battery to low (3VDC per cell is from what everyone recommends is the absolute lowest). I ran the motor full throttle with the plane held down. From full charge it ran just a little bit more that 13 minutes before I shut it down just a bit above 6VDC. Just to see if the ESC had LVC I ran it back up and the battery dropped under 6V so I shut it back down again.... So I don't think LVC is active.

So my questions...

1. The ESC says flashed with SimonK firmware and from what I have read his firmware does not have LVC. Is that correct????

2. If the former is true, is it possible to reflash back to a firmware that does have LVC? or is it too hard to tell without knowing what the original manufacture of the ESC is.

3. Am I on the right track as far as battery minimums and what not? Also to note all testing was done with a prop installed.

4. Lastly (for the moment). Any suggestions for an air frame would be gladly accepted. As of right now dollar tree foam board is building material of choice.

Thanks.
Mike.