Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

What is the proper mAh for a 7.2v motor?

Old 09-26-2003, 10:12 PM
theaugerfiller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the proper mAh for a 7.2v motor?

Hello,
I've been wondering what the proper mAh is for a 7.2v motor or is there any?
Thanks,
Theagerfiller
Old 09-26-2003, 10:42 PM
Dr Kiwi

Default RE: What is the proper mAh for a 7.2v motor?

The CAPACITY of the battery (mAh) bears no relation to the motor's nominal voltage. A 7.2v motor can be run with rather more cells (i.e. HIGHER VOLTAGE) than say a 6v motor. VOLTAGE in large part determines the amount of power one can get from a motor. Depending on the size/windings etc of the motor, with a 7.2v motor, one could safely use 8-cells (9.6v) and possibly more [9-10 cells (10.8v-12.0v)], but a 6v motor might well be limited to only 7-8 (8.4v-9.6v). Battery CAPACITY determines how long one can run whatever motor one uses (flight time being, essentially, battery capacity divided by current draw).

Hope this clarifies the situation,

Cheers, Phil
Old 09-27-2003, 04:34 PM
Lynx

Default RE: What is the proper mAh for a 7.2v motor?

Capacity also influences efficiancy at higher power settings, because a larger capacity battery will waste less energy at high current draws than a lower capacity battery will at the same current draw.