Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

AXI 2820-10

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2003, 08:59 PM
imsofaman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AXI 2820-10

Hey guys......I had bought an AXI 2820-10 Motor and Speed controller for either a Clancy Speedy Bee or an Adrian Page New Bee. i was going to power either plane with 2400 Sanyos. I decided to see how the weight was with my Lazy Bee and an old Astro 05 cobalt. The wing load was very high for eight cells! Coming in for landings was scary. I had made a 52" wing like a Lazy Bee Special wing jus a little wider and now it flies like a dream.

But now back to my original problem, I think that the 2400 cells in eight packs is just way too heavy for a 40" wing sport plane. My opinion is based on my original Lazy Bee was flying on a MP AC 25/35-20 brushless with gear box running on 1100 HE cells and flew great! Very light and nimble in the air.

I am thinking of purchasing and making ten cell packs of CP-1700SCR. Is that enought amperage for the AXI 2820-10? Am I spinning my wheels?

[link=http://home.att.net/~imsofaman/dave_surace_rc_homepage.htm]Dave Surace RC Homepage[/link]
Old 09-29-2003, 07:02 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AXI 2820-10

On 8 cells, the CP1700's will have plenty of poop to run that motor, IMHO. Take a look at the Sanyo HR4/5FAUP, 1950mAh NiMH cells too. They're good to 40 Amps, and weigh only slightly more than a CP1300.

Nope, you're not spinning your wheels; you're spinning your prop
Old 09-29-2003, 07:04 AM
Greg Covey

Hi Dave,

Check out my [link=http://www.gregcovey.com/wipa_firecat.htm]Wipa Firecat[/link] page and you'll see that the CP1700 cells work great for that motor.

Obviously, the Lithium cells work evn better but they are also much more expensive.

Good luck!
Old 09-29-2003, 07:45 PM
imsofaman

Hey thanks for the input Greg. One of the guys at my electric flying field, has one just like yours but with a smaller motor....I think a small Mega. His will not hover well. To be honest with you......the hovering stuff is not what I'm looking for for now. I am a Clancy aviation fan. I love all of the Bees. The Lazy and Speedy Bees are my two favorites. The last Speedy Bee I had was chopped out of the air this past spring by a new pilot who was soloing for the first time. Had never seen a mid-air before and hope I never will agian! I love that plane. I had made a lot of modifications on her and it was a pile of tooth picks on her maiden voyage. So I am building a new Speedy Bee from scratch and I want this thing to rip up the sky like my old ones did but in the electric format. The glow fuel made my first one soft around the engine nacelle that once during a landing ....my engine, mount and fire wall fell right off the plane!!!! Hopefully with the electric my third one will have a longer life.

After the Speedy Bee, I will be buiding an Adrian Page New Bee and I will use the same AXI motor. Lots of fun ahead of me!!!!!
Old 10-01-2003, 08:17 PM
imsofaman

Greg and Matt....I ordered the CP 1700s. Thank for the info guys.....you know....the more I look at that Wipa Firecat, the more I like that plane. Thanks alot.....now I will have to buy that one too!!!!! I only have so much room! Thanks...your killing me!
Old 10-02-2003, 05:16 PM
imsofaman

Took some photos...thought I would share.....

Dave
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60672.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	65176   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98872.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	65177  
Old 10-02-2003, 05:19 PM
imsofaman

A couple more. I bought an old Speedy Bee....been scratch building the trutle deck and engine nacelle. It is coming together nice. I made the engine mount at my work with a milling machine.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13483.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	65178   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82843.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	65179  
Old 10-03-2003, 07:49 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Re: Wipa Firecat

Mr. Covey better be getting a royalty from Hobby Lobby for each plane they sell... He's done that to me on more than one occasion.

Speedy bee looks like it'll be pretty speedy!
Old 10-03-2003, 03:10 PM
BEC

That's a GREAT way to solve the AXI-in-a-beam-mount-plane problem and will survive and last away better than the similar arrangement Aeronaut S600 mount (I know, I wore one out).

Enjoy.
Old 10-03-2003, 06:59 PM
imsofaman

Glad you like the motor mount! I had actually built a cage type mount with aluminum parts....two faces and four threaded standoffs with lock nuts. It scared me looking at the Bee plans and looking at that monster motor and cringing at the thought of the firewall being ripped off of the fuselage! So I stared at the plans with the motor in my hand and thought about it until it hit me...aluminum angle stock. I could not wait to get to work the next day to plan it out. After my two breaks and my lunch break....it was finished. I angled it with 6degrees of down thrust. Three for the normal downthrust for a flat bottom wing and another three to compensate for the elevator incedence. It is angled to provide extra lift for poor performing motors of yester-year. With today's high output motors...the extra thrust makes it bob up and down like a roller coaster. You can fix this by either making it real nose heavy, redoing the elevator or adding the down thrust. I opted for the last one. Thanks for the info guys! I will start a new post when I am finished with her.

Dave

[link=http://home.att.net/~imsofaman/dave_surace_rc_homepage.htm]Dave Surace RC Homepage[/link]
Old 11-11-2003, 04:32 PM
imsofaman

Hey guys.....I finished my Speedy Bee. Turned out very cool. Here is the link.

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Electric_Speedy_Bee/m_1267311/tm.htm]My New Speedy Bee[/link]