Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Help: Geared Expert 280 1:4

Old 10-04-2020, 02:36 PM
RxLaMont

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help: Geared Expert 280 1:4

1st: if this is in the wrong spot - I apologize! Really new to Forums and I always mess up, prefer to lurk - but ...:

I obtained (OK, "was given") a circa 2000 Hangar 9 Fokker Eindecker E.III balsa ARF. The 3-channel kit uses an Expert 280 motor geared 1:4 spinning a 3-blade plastic prop. Since the motor has sat for 20 years, it doesn't spin enough to keep the plane in the air and I want to replace the power setup, hopefully with a moderately more powerful setup. I used a 800mAh 8.4v lipo battery in attempting 1st tests, as the manual called for "7cell 600mAh NiCad".

I suspect a Speed 400 type setup would be waaaay too much as the model only weighs about a 1.25lbs ready to fly.

Any ideas on what wattage this motor might have made originally? How would the gearing affect that power? How many watts of motor should I be looking for? The landing gear is tall enough on the model to go to a 2-blade prop, but the 3-blade would be more to my liking - it looks better.

This plane still looks great, & is a perfect fit in a spot in my RV; I'd really like to get it in the air. ANY and ALL comments appreciated!
RxLaMont