Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Forward and Reverse thrust in one!

Old 09-29-2003, 11:24 AM
BUflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forward and Reverse thrust in one!

Can i get one of these engines (an electric) to reverse with a flip of a switch? I have s specific aplication where i would like to be able to reverse the thrust for one of my engines in flight. Is this possible?

If it is not directly possible, anyone have any ideas on how to passively make it reverse mid flight? Feel free to brainstorm, i am looking for any info i can use. Thanks!
Old 09-29-2003, 11:52 AM
MajorTomski

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Forward and Reverse thrust in one!

Buy boat speed controller. works well both ways!
Old 10-01-2003, 10:00 AM
whanderson

An all electronic solution involves useing 4 or more MOSFETs in an "H-bridge" configuration. This is how the recommended boat controllers switch direction. A simple mechanical approach is to use a servo to throw a DPDT toggle or slide switch. Drill a hole in the switch lever and use regular pushrod linkeages to connect to the servo. Make sure the switch contacts can support your motors current demand. Wire the switch between the ESC and motor as follows:
Attached Images  
Old 10-01-2003, 10:20 AM
whanderson

OOPS!!! Boy did I mess up! Please do not follow the drawing in my first reply. Use this one. Sorry!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44066.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	64888  
Old 10-05-2003, 02:02 PM
burnedout007

had a ducted fan that i built a reverse thrust unit that functioned just like one on a real jet airliner.
worked great for HOT landings.
if you use something like that in flight then it would NEED to be made from high strength material like carbon fiber with carbonfiber rods. and a super high torque servo would need to be used(probably 2 of them.)
sory no drawings or pics but if interested ill take the time to describe it in as much detail as posable.