Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

GP 30A esc cutting out

Old 10-08-2003, 07:12 PM
basmntdweller
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP 30A esc cutting out

I have one of the 30amp GP ESCs in a GP Slinger. It frequently cuts out like I am getting a radio hit. It usually only lasts less that a second but it is annoying. It will do it at any time from fresh charge down to nearly dead and the plane in about any attitude or distance. It has done it a few times right at launch but not very often. It cuts 5-10 times per flight average.
Any ideas?
Thanks,,,basmntdweller
Old 10-09-2003, 07:04 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GP 30A esc cutting out

Is it just a momentary lapse in power, or do you have to pull the throttle back to idle to get the motor running again?

If it's the former, then you probably are getting radio hits. Try moving the ESC away from the receiver, rerouting your antenna, etc.. Make sure you have capacitors installed on the motor. Make sure all the solder joints are tight and of good quality. The motor brushes may also be sparking because they're extremely new or extremely old... Take it into a dark room and run the motor. It'll be obvious. You can fix this on a new motor by unsoldering it from the ESC and running it on two D alkaline batteries for a half-hour or so.

If it's the latter, your battery is insufficient for the task. It can't put out enough current without suffering from voltage depression, which is essentially low voltage. The low-voltage cutoff is kicking in because it believes the battery is dead. Sometimes batteries can handle the strain for a while, but as they heat up they lose their edge. The brief relief they get when the low voltage cutoff kicks in allows them to recover somewhat and cool off, allowing you to fly some more.