Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Himaxx Motor gear box

Old 10-16-2003, 07:38 PM
keith124
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Himaxx Motor gear box

i just bought this motor with a 4:1 gear box, and on the 4th flight i lost power in mid air, looks like the gears stripped, but how in mid flight, i had no prop strike at all,.
question is how do i take it apart to inspect it to see whats wrong?
motor runs fine prop dont spin.. thanks
Old 10-17-2003, 01:59 AM
Steve Neu
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Himaxx Motor gear box

The gears in many of the Himax motors have failed after just a few minutes operation. I would contact the supplier and ask what the return/repair options are. I am sure that have already had to deal with the problem many times.

Steve
Old 10-17-2003, 10:56 AM
allesg

I have exactly the same. Absolutely no problems so far after about 12 flights including a
most humbling high speed nose in from about 40 ft. If yours won't easily unscrew, chances are the factory used a little loctite on it because of early complaints of a few coming apart. Probably also implies that you have metal gears and probably also have lubricant factory installed. I didn't unscrew mine because it has loctite and I'm trusting they lubed it. If not, I know I can get replacement. I like mine so much I just bought another.

good luck with yours!

Gary
Old 10-29-2003, 11:02 PM
allesg

I had a few more flights on my 2nd HiMaxx w/ 4.3:1 gearbox.
(My first is getting the gear drive shaft replaced after a broken wing tip)
I managed to bend the gear drive shaft on my second one due to a transmitter problem.
I opened this one up and I can confirm it was closed with factory locktite and it was lubed.
It also has all metal gears.
When I sent in my first one, I ordered a new gear drive shaft - just in case.
Having one on had, I went ahead and replaced the bent shaft on my second one - no problem. All buttoned up again and flight ready.

I also just received a HiMaxx w/o gearbox. I added a GWS compatible custom gearbox
by Chi Won. Perfect fit - no problems.

Happy Flying!

Gary
Old 12-02-2003, 12:08 PM
onthefly

Well I rec'd 2 himaxx 2025 with the planetary gearbox. It's been a month now and I haven't been able to fly. My buddy paid for one of the motors and I had problems with mine before even mounting. I wouldn't turn a propellor. Made awful noise otherwise. I sent it back in then my friend finished his foamie and at quarter throttle, level flight he lost speed and the smooth sound turned ugly. He landed and when we held the prop and gave some juice the motor turned and the prop stood still. So I have a 100% bad experience with these metal planetary drives on these himaxx motors. And so far am unimpressed with Maxx Products customer service. I'm told that they are waiting for parts for yet another week then they'll see what's wrong. What's wrong is they could quickly hook it up and call and say "yep, bad gearbox, we'll get something to you ASAP" or something to that effect....