Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Battery Voltages

Old 10-17-2003, 08:13 PM
Uncas
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Voltages

What battery voltage do most e-flyers operate at (not Li Poly)? I run my Tiger Moth at 8.4 v, my Funny Park at 7.2 v and I am building a Dandy Sport which MM recommends to use 9.6 v (8cells). Is 9.6 v Ok or will I start burning up motors? I only have 5 amp ESC's. (like GWS 100).

Should I just go to 9.6 v on everything?
Old 10-17-2003, 08:35 PM
Dr Kiwi

Default RE: Battery Voltages

It depends so much on the type of cells you are using, and what sort of amp draw your gearing/prop is giving you.

I am assuming your TM and Funny Park are using IPS motors (with stock props you will probably be using ~350mAh AAA or smaller packs, and only getting a max draw ~2-3A).

The Dandy runs a 280 motor (max draw ~5A). Now, if you are only using AAA NiMH cells (e.g. 720AAA, good only for 5-6A) you probably won't be able to suck enough out of them to destroy your 280 motor. HOWEVER if you got, say, a 5/4AAA 800 NiMH pack (good for 8A+), and overprop the 280, you could be putting 6-8A through it and risk frying it. If you went crazy with an 8-cell KAN 650 pack (good for 10+A), and a big prop, you could really fry the thing.

What I am saying, in long-winded fashion, is that you CAN use 8-cells, but only if you know what your amp draw is, and limit THAT to what the motor can handle.

You will really be on the fringe with the ESC too (5-6A through a 5A ESC is not good) - I'd get a Castle Creations 7P and rest easy in the knowledge that, with that safety margin, you are not going to fry it.

Cheers, Phil
Old 10-18-2003, 07:38 AM
Dr Kiwi

Default RE: Battery Voltages

Sorry, my mistake - the Funny Park has a 300 motor. Now that changes things a bit.

I'd stick with what you have for the TM - using your small 7-cell pack and your GWS 100 ESC.

For the other two I reckon you should get a Castle Creation Pixie 20P ESC - the extra few grams over the 7P won't matter. Then, for the Dandy, I'd get another GWS 370 motor/gearbox (that is the same '300' motor your Funny Park has). Speed 300's are much the same weight as 280's, but produce far more power. Then I'd get some 7-cell KAN 650 packs (3.5oz) which will be able to supply exactly the power you need [6-8A] without any risk of burning out motors (as you might on 8-cells). By having the Pixie 20P (with programmable LVC) you will, in the future, be able to switch to LiPoly packs for greater duration and less weight.

Cheers, Phil