Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

**Help Help** Pinion Gear coming loose

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2003, 08:37 PM
Plane Addicted
My Feedback: (49)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default **Help Help** Pinion Gear coming loose

Hi, I have a vertical rc katana with the motor and gear box that they offered. I don't know exactly what it is. The gear box is a 5:1 MPJet gear box, but I don't know what the motor is, I think it is a 280. I an having trouble with the pinion gear not staying tight on the motor shaft. I used the glue that came with the new gear box, the original one that came with the airplane was stripped out, and it doesn't stay on. I has come loose twice after a couple of flights. What can I do to keep this pinion gear from spinning on the motor shaft.

John
Old 10-18-2003, 07:56 AM
Dr Kiwi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: **Help Help** Pinion Gear coming loose

Wasn't this posted in RC Groups?

I'll post this in here for those who don't look over there.

Pinions yet again: this has been covered so many times - please use the 'Search' function and you'll get the answer almost every time.

Tried and true - works every time

Others have had success with green loctite 638. However, I have not been too impressed with locktite in these circumstances, but I have had great success with soldering pinions on.

Use a brand new pinion! (Re-used ones have been 'stretched' and will not have the correct interference fit).

Use plenty of flux and apply a thin veneer of solder to the roughened shaft. Make sure you get some flux into the hole in the pinion. Align pinion on shaft and, while applying heat from your soldering iron, ease it on with gentle pressure, between the jaws of a small vice (use a spacer nut/sleeve against the pinion at the front jaw, and have the other end of motor shaft against the rear jaw).

Cheers, Phil