Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Motor Beep, Beep ,Beep Error...?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2003, 06:14 AM
Mark in AUS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor Beep, Beep ,Beep Error...?

Hi , im totaly new to electric RC flight and have bought myself a Graupner Tipsy with the Graupner speed 280 and prop. Also the recomended 7 cell nmhi flight pack and an
MGM smm 06 ESC. My problem is few seconds after i connect the power source i get a constant beep beep beep comming from the motor and no respnse from the servos.
The ESC has BEC and i was told that i connect the ESC to the throtle port of my rx unit.
(I hope that was right) First time i did this i had servo response (before i had installed into plane but without motor connected ) but now just a constant beep and have noticed the ESC to become quite hot after a few minutes . Motor works fine from a direct power source and i am getting just on 5 volt's on the BEC wire going into the rx.
The battery is fully charged and the rx seems to be working ok........Have i killed my ESC.....??
That's what i asume but im not 100% sure.......ESC manual (peice of paper) says switch on and off ESC for correct opperation or throttle size deflection to large/small and throttle may be reversed . Tried all these but still nothing...
Any advise would be greatly appreciated
Old 10-19-2003, 06:06 PM
Dr Kiwi

Default RE: Motor Beep, Beep ,Beep Error...?

Two ideas off the top of my head:

Make sure you turn your Tx on BEFORE you connect your battery or throw the switch to turn on the Rx. [Converse: When shutting down, always disconnect battery/switch off Rx before turning off transmitter]

If you have a Futaba Tx you will need to reverse your throttle [Position 3 on the servo reverser]

Your ESC may not be "seeing" the required 1.5 seconds or whatever of zero throttle to arm itself (try again with the throttle stick at minimum AND the throttle trim also trim at minimum).

Good luck, Phil

Old 10-19-2003, 09:32 PM
Mark in AUS

Thanks for the info Dr Kiwi....thats pretty much what i tried before but have now found the problem....it was the radio (JR F500)...the manual was pretty vague so i did some searching on-line . I found out that the throttle was only going to 100% and the ESC didn't see it so as soon as i went into the menu and upped it to 120 the constant beep on the speed 280 stopped.
Switched everything off then turned radio back on with throttle off. Connected the ESC and got one beep , moved throttle to full and got two beeps.
Moved the throttle back to off and then increased the throttle .
Woohoo away it went....and both Elev and rudd came to life , so now it's all working perfectly.
As i said I'm new to all this(had planes and cars as a kid but only knew what Dad taught me)and am amazed at how advanced it all is these days.
Thanx again Dr Kiwi for your help and i hope this info will be helpful to others in the future
Old 10-21-2003, 07:31 PM
Dr Kiwi

Always happy to help out one of my (former) trans-Tasman neighbors. Don't worry - here in the States we Kiwis still like to give you Okkers grief - especially when our (obviously) far more sophisticated accents are assumed to be Australian!

Cheers, Phil