Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

GWS IPS A motor on 3 Lipoly?

Old 10-22-2003, 09:46 PM
WRK
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GWS IPS A motor on 3 Lipoly?

Can I run a GWS IPS A motor on 3 LiPoly batterys being careful not to run much at full throttle? This is on a 4.6 ounce plane. Don't know if the motor will take this or not but need a bit more power at times.

Thanks,

Bill
Old 10-22-2003, 11:12 PM
Dr Kiwi

Default RE: GWS IPS A motor on 3 Lipoly?

Yes, you could, BUT unless you are very careful with your prop size and throttle you WILL fry the motor. If your amp draw is limited to 1.5-2A you may get away with it, but don't sue GWS if you blow it. Why do you WANT to use 3s when 2s will get all you can get out of an IPS A?

Cheers, Phil
Old 10-23-2003, 06:47 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Heh heh. Check out Greg Covey's review of the Edogfight.com T3D CAP on Ezone. That's why

Hey flierbk, I'll bet you a donut that that's the plane you're asking about.
Old 11-02-2003, 09:26 PM
rmh

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

having tried various prop/throttle settings on the little GWS motors -I really can't recommend the combo of 3 cell li-Po.
When I tried the setup on my test stand-Ialso tried small wire --as a resistor --and got hot wire as well as a hot motor.
Maybe there is a controller which can do the job right --by giving an effective lower voltage -(below the typical 3 cell output.)
Or maybe a small enough prop -If anybody know a good safe way of dropping the 3 cell output without simply wasting the power as heat -please let me know.
Old 11-02-2003, 10:13 PM
smokingcrater

out in the piccolo world we save our little tail motors on 3 cells by using extremely high frequency speed controllers, look for some of the 100k units out, should work fine on 3 then...