Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

ESC? Where's that GO?

Old 10-29-2003, 08:55 PM
Mikel-t
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESC? Where's that GO?

I took the plunge into Electrics with Hobby Lobby's Super Miss. They provide almost everything except a wiring diagram of what goes to where! Talk about assuming too much! Besides that I did'nt even own a soldering iron until today. So I think I need some help FAST - before I burn something called a JETI ( jes 30-3p) to the AXI 2808/16 brushless motor. Oh yeah JETI recommends I solder their cables to the power pack! That ! I don't get at all!.
Old 10-29-2003, 09:43 PM
Jim Finn
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: ESC? Where's that GO?

I have done a lot of electrics including brushless like yours. Although mine are bigger than yours the set up is the same. (I fly .40- .60 sized electric planes.) Motor wires plugged into or soldered to ESC then esc plugged into (NOT SOLDERED) the battery pack. Manf. always want you to install switches and fuses but most electric flyers do not use them. (Especially fuses.) On brushed motors we usually solder esc to motor but on brushless like yours we use plugs on the esc to motor connection but heavy duty ones.(Gold Plated)
Old 10-29-2003, 09:48 PM
Dr Kiwi

DON'T EVER SOLDER YOUR ESC TO THE POWER PACK! Your AXI will have come with three wires sticking out of the back of it, right? What you need are appropriate compatible connectors - Jeti 3.5mm Gold Connectors are perfect for your needs (www. aircraft-world.com - listed as AC-Conn 3.5 or something like that, or if you get desperate and want to pay a lot more, go to Hobby-Lobby). Solder a male connector to each of your three motor leads, and female connectors to each of the three leads coming from the 'motor' end of the ESC. Now for the other two leads from the 'battery' end of the ESC: solder a male connector to the end of the negative lead and a female to the positive lead. Now for your battery: solder a female connector to the negative battery lead, and a male to the positive. Use 3/16" shrink tubing to cover your soldered connections. YOU ARE DONE!

IMPORTANT NOTE: On the bench or in the plane, NEVER connect up your battery without first having turned on your transmitter:

To connect all this together, first connect the ESC to the motor. The Rx lead from the ESC probably plugs into Channel 3 on your Rx. Only when you are ready to test or fly connect the battery to the ESC [AFTER switching on your transmitter].

If you find your motor turns the wrong way, simply switch any two of your connections between ESC and Motor.

See how you go with this!

Cheers, Phil
Old 10-30-2003, 07:43 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Hobby Lobby also sells the connectors: http://www.hobby-lobby.com/connectors.htm

For the battery-to-ESC connection, most people use Dean's Ultra plugs or Sermos Connectors, also called Anderson Power Poles. Some people use the Jeti single-pin connectors like Dr. Kiwi says, but I don't like that. You can plug the + and - side of the battery together.
Old 10-30-2003, 08:06 AM
Jim Finn

The Jeti single pin connectors are good for the brushless motor we are discussing. (On the motor side of the ESC) On the other side I use the Sermos type yes.
Old 10-30-2003, 07:50 PM
Billy Hell

Jim
Give us a call at Hobby Lobby and we'd be happy to help you out.
615 373 1444 ext. 216
Jim T. Graham
P.R.
Hobby Lobby
Old 10-30-2003, 09:05 PM
Jim Finn

Mike this message ( #6) is for you. The folks at Hobby Lobby are great! I buy most of my stuff from them and sold a whole lot of their stuff when I worked in a hobby shop.
Old 11-01-2003, 04:57 PM
Mikel-t
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: OH! THAT WAY!

Hey. Jim, Matt and Phil thanks very much, I think I got it, except for the motor/esc connectors. The ESC has these (3) pre-installed female-tube like affairs on them. The (3) motor wires pos/neg/ and grd? need somthing on them to connect to that. I'm thinking that's what those 3 gold oblong fittings should go? Uh-oh, they get soldered on there right?, just when I was getting good with the silver kind. Oh and thanks Phil for explaining the order of things. I followed your advice and soldered the flat clipson the battery and ESC then slid the plastic housing over them. How important is the shrink wrap? Lastly is the battery still running current even after I shut the ESC off?. ( I bet it is, Huh?) again thanks and I will post a pic of my maiden flight.

Mikel-T
Old 11-01-2003, 06:10 PM
Jim Finn

Default RE: OH! THAT WAY!

Yes solder them on to the motor wires then you can plug the motor to the esc. Plug them in any order. When motor starts, check direction of motor.(prop off) if it is spinning the wrong way just switch any two of the wires to the motor. You know un plug and re plug. This will change the rotation. I always set the whole thing up and run it and control it with the transmitter with no prop on it! (Safer). With electric you have to be careful because the motor can start any time. Also another saftey issue is: The battery has enough power to start a fire if you short someting out.