Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Power Reccomendations? Help!!

Old 10-31-2003, 11:25 PM
RCaillouet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Reccomendations? Help!!

Am looking into getting a Laser Mini 3D or the NE Sailplaes Accord II. Am looking for some help with it though, before I buy. First question, do the things have enough room inside for 8-10 cell packs both NIMH and NICADS around 800 - 1300 Mah? Second and more importantly WHAT POWER SYSTEM? I am not looking for all out 3d, but would like some decent performance. Also, am a military family man on limited budget, so most of the tru high end brushless will be out of the question, but if I could get a power system with controller for under $150, I could possibly convince the wife. Was also wondering if at least for the first little bit, what someone my think of putting either a 400 or 480 size brushed in it? What about a the Wattage Cobalt 400? Break in is no problem as I am more patient and am willing to make things run right before flying! Am leaning more toward the Mini Laser over the Accord, but I like both! Also, I may be hand launching the plane and belly landing on grass, any problems with this on these planes?

Thanks,

Reg
Old 11-02-2003, 06:33 PM
rmh

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Power Reccomendations? Help!!

My own findings are that most of the recommended power combos for newcomers are toooo wimpy and the customer ends up with a nice plane - a nice motor -some nice batteries and a poor flying combo.
Look at TOTAL flying weight and wing area before you buy anything.
For outdoor flying in calm weather --you can get wonderful performance from a $25.00 motor-a 35 dollar controller and a 40 dollar battery.
Thats 100 bucks-
add a 50 dollar charger - you get 150 -your budget.
The motor-a 35o GWS ball bearing - the controller - A GWS or similar
the battery a 1500 Ma 2 cell Kokam LiPo
the charger a Hobbico Mk11. or a good two/3 cell charger
The total model must weigh under 13 ounces -for hover flight
for flying and loops and rolls - go on up to almost twenty ozs
The model can be whatever rings your bells but the best setup for light and durable is simply cut out of 1/4" thick foam . about 300 square " to 350 sq in .
these foamies wil take a hell of a lot of abuse and when you do stuff em in - and you will -they easily fix .
get one to fly while you build your "pretty plane".
Old 11-03-2003, 05:38 PM
RCaillouet

Sorry but I guess that a little more info should have been given. First I halready have a Great Planes Triton charger. Secondly is that the cost I have put forth for the power system is JUST for the motor, gear box (if any,) AND speed controller. The cost of batteries are a sort of fixed cost to me that goes with buying the airplane. After all, you can't fly them with out it! I am just trying to figure out what type set up would be best for those 2 airplanes, and how much room I might have inside of the for the battery back.

Thanks,

Reg
Old 11-10-2003, 10:14 PM
LowAndSlow
My Feedback: (5)

As far as room for battery packs, you might e-mail Sal at Northeast Sailplanes with that question. I am flying a 74", 28 oz. glider with the super cobalt 400 motor,and getting very good performance. It is at its best in direct drive, with a 7x4 prop, using 15 to 20 amps on 7 & 8 cell KAN 1050 NiMh packs. Many of the earlier super co.400's (gold and blue models) came apart after a few flights, including my blue one. Hobby People replaced mine, and so far it is running well. This motor has a lot of resistance, and wastes watts, and with the 27 turns, is not suited very well for a gearbox. If you can get a Promax cobalt 400 with a gearbox around 2:1, then I think the Accord would really perform!

Lots of luck! John