Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives
Reload this Page >

IT COSTS HOW MUCH TO REPLACE A HACKER SHAFT????

Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

IT COSTS HOW MUCH TO REPLACE A HACKER SHAFT????

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 08:41 AM
awschucks
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IT COSTS HOW MUCH TO REPLACE A HACKER SHAFT????

UNBELIEVABLE!!

I JUST FOUND OUT THAT IT WILL COST $47.50 TO REPLACE THE OUTPUT SHAFT OF A HACKER B20 WITH 4 TO 1 GEARS. A BUDDY OF MINE SCREWED MY HACKER IN THE GROUND AND NOW I FIND OUT THAT IT IS HIGHWAY ROBBERY TO REPLACE THE OUTPUT SHAFT. I GUESS I WILL GO TO HIMAXX FROM NOW ON.[:'(]
Old 11-03-2003, 09:48 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: IT COSTS HOW MUCH TO REPLACE A HACKER SHAFT????

OK try this:
The Hacker motors are real performers
The cost of repair can be higher than some like to pay.
When you repair yours - see if they can switch it over to a setup which will work with a GWS gearbox.
OR get a machinist friend to re do it to fit on a GWS setup
I have not tried this "conversion/repair - but as long as the motor proper has a straight shaft -I can't see why it can't be done
In this day of instant bolt together motors/planes - we tend to overlook some conversion fixes.
I am putting a Hacker 20S on a GWS gear box for exactly the reason you noted. The cost of possible repair. Also I want to play with various gearing setups .
If you order the bare Hacker -- you can hook it to a GWS or other gear box -
the shaft dia is a bit non standard - but a good drill set will fix any pinion desired for it.
I believe a 2.2mm drill will give you a press fit of a bras pinion to the Hacker shaft. That's according to Hacker folks.
Someone- I think-Todd's Models(?) has conversion stuff for Hacker--
PS I have had various friends try my models and they get so involved in rolling circles on the deck/wild flat spins etc- they invariably stuff one-
It is really nice to be able to say - "no big deal, just a bent prop shaft --( $2.00)"
Old 11-03-2003, 08:24 PM
Steve Neu
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maxon is a Swiss company that supplies the Hacker gear drive--a truly quality gear drive. The Himaxx drive is low quality and has a high failure rate. The gears don't seem to be made of quality materials. As with many things you usually get what you pay for.

Steve
Old 11-03-2003, 08:57 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As nicely as the Hacker is made , it can be damaged - a friend did a "boink" with his new one and it became rough - back it goes for repair.
My new Hacker is being mounted on the lowly GWS setup --as is my new HiMax.
The way the motors mount into the GWS setup - I have a difficult time envisioning motor damage in even a hard surface impact.
I am not a ne flier - but I do let others fly my stuff -and they are welcome to try the down and dirty stuff and accidents happen.
A lot cheaper than bustin my big gas twins!
anyway - I am going to give these setups a good shakeout and as long as they work as well on th brushless as they do on the brushed motors - I am happy
I try to I get what I pay for --Having owned Saabs/Volvos/ BMW/ Toyota/ Mazda /Hondas/Ford /Cadillac/Olds
LaSalle/Mercs Healy/Triumph and a bunch of others I have long forgotten--I found that there is SOME relationship in price and quality but you don't always "get what you pay for" -- the Cad and the Triumph were living proof of that----just plain ol cheaply made products sold at a higher price-
By the way - the best car of the bunch? A used 929 Mazda - Who woulda thunk it --