Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Wow, that is a lot of AMPS

Old 11-06-2003, 11:38 PM
azfrench

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wow, that is a lot of AMPS

I am looking for a multimeter to measure the amps of my plane and motor. Most of the ones that I have seen only go up to 5 to 10 amps dc. If I have a esc that goes up to 25 amps, how do I measure this? Are we talking the same type of amp? The new fluke 179 can measure 20a for a max of 30 seconds and thats it. What am I missing here? I don't want to blow anything up, including me...lol Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-07-2003, 08:04 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Wow, that is a lot of AMPS

Yep, same Amps. Apparently, the ability to measure large currents for long periods of time is not an often-requested feature, so they leave it out of most meters. It's also a source of a lot of heat buildup, hence the 30-second limit on that Fluke meter. Let it go longer, and the meter could burn up.

To measure high currents, you need a piece of specialized equipment. For electric flight, there are three popular choices:

1. AstroFlight Whattmeter - Invaluable if you're serious about electric flight. Measures Amps, Volts, mAh, and calculates Watts. Tells you "What's" going on with your "Watts."
2. Maxx Products has a similar meter that only measures Volts and Amps.
3. Sears Clamp-on Multimeter.

The Whattmeter's the most accurate, because you place it inline between the battery and ESC.
Old 11-16-2003, 01:28 PM
Rojoyinc

Default RE: Wow, that is a lot of AMPS

I used this meter last night, to see if the ESC was large enough- I burned out my 50amp ESC during the test. = (
"I think" - it went to full throttle and the wing shot across the room. The ESC was really hot. I was at 100watts but didn't note the amps before the mishap. Needless to say I'm a bit afraid to try my 60amp speed control now.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to run twin astro15's (cobalt motors) DD, in a large make that LARGE Cermark Islander.
Which brings up a question, where can I read/learn about series vs parallel wiring of the two motors? What is the difference in the two configurations. I don't want technical because I can't understand it. I want laymans terms.

I was thinking of using 2 8 cell packs connected with a little series adapter I made up.