Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Sig Wonder conversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2003, 10:17 PM
MalaysianFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig Wonder conversion

I am new to electrics (got bitten by the Zagi bug, have one Zagi and one GP Slinger). I have a Sig Wonder kit lying around that I never got around to building, and am wondering if it would make a good electric conversion project.I originally bought the kit to get some experience in kit building (since I can even louse up assembly of ARF's), and since I got into electrics it just seems that it would be great to fly this plane on electric power.

Has anyone done this or with a similar model? Could you guys tell me what combinations you used? I basically want something that will give speed, lots of speed

Thanks
Old 11-11-2003, 11:28 PM
MalaysianFlyer

Default RE: Sig Wonder conversion

Hi,

I am considering either the AXI 281410 or the Mega 20/30/3, any comments on which would be a better choice?
Old 11-12-2003, 08:18 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Also take a look at the Jeti 15/3 or 15/4 on 8 cells. You're looking for a system to replace a .15-.25 engine. 8 CP2400SCR NiCd cells or HR4/5FAUP NiMH cells (much lighter, slightly more expensive) at a maximum of 40 Amps will power this plane admirably if you can keep the AUW under 3lbs. I'd start out shooting for 30 Amps. That way you have some wiggle room, actually lots of wiggle room, if you feel you need more power.

My personal preferences are for at least 8 cells in any airplane, and on .15 size or larger, to shoot for a peak current of about 40 Amps. Gear that can handle more than 40 Amps starts to get EXPENSIVE.

You probably want fast. The 2814/10 will give you about 39MPH with a 10x6 prop in a perfect world. Not a bad choice, and can be improved some by dropping to a 9x8 or even an 8x8 prop. This is from the stats at http://www.modelmotors.cz.

I'm looking at the 22/30/3, and it looks like it was meant for a much larger airplane. It's a lot heavier than the AXi, and has a lower Kv, which means it will turn the prop even slower, which means an even lower top speed. I'd be more inclined to choose the 22/30/2 for this, or even the 22/20/3. Just looking at the stats on http://www.megamotorsusa.com.
Old 11-13-2003, 03:36 AM
MalaysianFlyer

Matt,

Thanks, I hadn't really looked at the other Mega 22's, I think I was too focused on just what I have seen in use. Will look into the options you suggested.

Thanks again very much, your suggestions are really appreciated, as I am still quite lost on electrics