Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Down-right thrust mod on Slow Stick

Old 02-06-2004, 01:18 AM
DanaWatson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Down-right thrust mod on Slow Stick

What do you mean when you say "down-right thrust" mod for the Slow Stick?

Thanks

Dana
Old 02-06-2004, 10:11 AM
sierra gold

Default RE: Down-right thrust mod on Slow Stick

Most planes have the motor tilted slightly down to compensate some of the up-thrust generated by the motor. This is generally set at 3 degrees down.(Also common to set 3 degrees right.)

With the SS this has been accomplished by several methods. Some bend the nose of the fuse stick slightly downward. Some make up a motor stick that has a bend carved into it and insert it into the SS fuse. Others just use down elevator to compensate at full throttle.

I take a piece of 3/8" square spruce about 3" long and shim it to fit the motor on one end. I then add a balsa wedge on the other end to accomplish the 3 degree down thrust. I CA this to the SS fuse (about 2" on the fuse and 1" forward for the motor) with the wedge on the fuse. Then I use two zip ties to further hold it on. This method also moves the motor weight forward which can help balance a tail heavy SS.

Sierra Gold
Old 02-06-2004, 10:32 AM
DanaWatson

Thanks for the info and description of how to do it, but to save time and the frustation of doing it wrong I found a site that offers and "adaptor" That allows you to abtain 3 degree angle both ways. Check it out: http://www.littlebirdz.com/products.php?id=30
Old 02-10-2004, 09:17 AM
sargentw

A while back I tried bending a slow stick shaft just to straighten it and broke it.

I just got the Littlebirdz in yesterday. It's beyond really cool and clever. It's a "snap" to build and is right on the dime with 3 degrees. It also puts the motor out front which helps with tail heavy Stiks.

http://www.littlebirdz.com/products.php?id=30

Another good site is http://www.balsapr.com/catalog/moto...oductId=T433964

I have the 350C-C with a 1047 prop mounted on my stick that delivers over a pound of thrust. Wow!

Also got some large "thin" foam wheels from Aircraft-world.com that fit the Stik. http://www.aircraft-world.com/shopexd.asp?id=829

Old 02-10-2004, 03:57 PM
DanaWatson

littlebirdz.com is out of these 3 degree motor mounts. Is there any place else I can get something like this?

Dana
Old 02-10-2004, 04:07 PM
Peter Khor
My Feedback: (4)

After flying the SS with stock straight mounting the first dozen times or so, it's so easy to get used to applying a correct amount of elevator and rudder input required under WOT, I don't see the point of spending +$6 on a mount, imo. I've also tried using 2 mixes (multipoint) on my radio to do elevator/rudder correction coupled with the throttle channel, it works quite well but mainly it's an exercise in programming a computer radio. You can also cut a block of wood with a couple degree kinked line and clamp the Al tube along the line to creat a proper bend. Still, the best I've found is to just fly the plane as it is, hundered's of flights and it hasn't bothered me a bit.
Old 02-10-2004, 09:48 PM
sargentw

In this day and age $6.00 bucks won't get you in the movies or pay the Hobby lobby's shipping costs. Six bucks might get you lunch at the food court or a pint of your favorite microbrew. Don't despair all is not lost, six bucks will get you a real cool upgrade for your $225.00 + stock GWS Slow Stik Outfit and a hand written "Thank You" note.

I followed the instructions which were quite clear. The kit was totally cut using a laser (you can still smell the smoke!) and all pieces were marked, including what fits where by laser. I used wood and leather super glue which seemed perfect for the task. I clipped off carbon fibers and stuffed then down the holes with super glue to reinforce everything from inside where the two pieces joined together. I used super tuff 3m90 sprayed on a Q-tip and then applied to the rear mount before covering with 3m criss crossed fiber tape.

My friends have put hacker brushless setups in their Slow sticks and have built similar type angled motor mount kits.

This is a fun little project to take on. Kudos for Dave for producing an effective and innovative product.

I can't wait to field test the upgrade.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74843.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	99655